Author Topic: WYNNE (Winn) of Snape  (Read 1481 times)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
WYNNE (Winn) of Snape
« on: Sunday 06 November 05 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Anyone have any information about this family?

My g,g grandmother was Cecily WYNNE b. 1822/3 in Snape, Yorkshire. She married John SMITH (not sure when or where), but then lived in Huddersfield.

I think her father was Thomas WYNNE (But not sure where I got that infomation from!)

The 1851 census has my family of John & Cicely with their children living in Bradford Road, Hudderesfield.  Further along Bradford Road was Thomas WINN, his wife Mary and their children.
Could be a coincidence, but Thomas was also born in Snape, Yks. Looks like my Cecily's brother ( Ceciliy is 27 yrs old, Thomas 36 - obviously not her father!)

Can anyone help with further information? Or let me know wher to look to find out Ceciliy's parents, or marriage.

Thank you
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline claudia99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WYNNE (Winn) of Snape
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 November 05 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
From IGI
Christening of Cicely Wynne
1 Sep 1823
Well, Yorkshire
Parents Thomas Wynne and Mary

There is also a Cecelia Isabella Winn
Christening 21 Aug 1822
Wragby, Yorkshire
Parents Charles Williamson Winn and Priscilla Strickland
The second ref has info submitted by a LDS member back to 1583.
If, as you say, her father is Thomas Wynne then the first one is obviously the one!!

Good luck
Claudia
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Fagan - Guernsey (1807), Wrexham (census 1841-1871), then Barton upon Irwell from around 1873

Fildes - Manchester, Chester, Liverpool, Chorlton, Ashton, Salford (descended from Mary Pritchard and William Fildes, Sir Samuel Luke's grandparents)

Speakman - Manchester and Salford

Bridge - Manchester (initially Ardwick) and Salford

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 05 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
The first seems to be my Cicely.

I have her born in Snape in the 1851 and 1881 census. and looking at a map Snape is not too far away from Well where she could have been christened.

However, the 1861 census says she was born in Huddersfield. But as thats where she was living, I think a mistake was made.

The IGI information is all I have to verify her parents. I was hoping for something else to verify this, I suppose.

Thank you for you time and effort

Gill
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 January 06 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I've just had a look at rootsweb freebmd site for you. This 1845 marriage looks like yours.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

Marriages Mar 1845  District   Vol/Page
----------------------------------------------------
 Smith  John     Huddersfield  22 /223   
Winn  Cicely     Huddersfield  22/ 223   
-----------------------------------------------------
To find the rest of the Winn marriages you'll have to search the site yourself.

I'll leave you to look for the 'Smith' children.  Below are some of the many Winn births and you'll notice they're in two volumes (22 and 9a).  I suggest you compare the children's names with those you found on the census to get an idea which children belong to Thomas Winn. If Thomas Winn and Cicely are related and there were no child mortalities Cicely's 1st daughter and Thomas's 2nd daughter will have the same names and Cicely's 2nd son and Thomas's 1st son will have the same names, which will be pointers to the names of both Cicely's & Thomas's parent

Surname  First name(s)    District  Vol  Page 
---------------------------------------------------------
Births Jun 1846
WINN  Mary Ann    Huddersfield  22 374   
------------------------------------------------------
Births Jun 1848
Winn  Emma     Huddersfield  22 __6   
-------------------------------------------------------
Births Mar 1850
Winn  John     Huddersfield  22 340   
--------------------------------------------------------
Births Jun 1852
WINN  Thomas     Huddersfield  9a 318   
---------------------------------------------------------
Births Dec 1852
Winn  John     Huddersfield  9a 309   
----------------------------------------------------------
Births Jun 1853
Winn  John Thomas     Huddersfield  9a 328   

Births Sep 1854
Winn  Eliza ?     Huddersfield  9a 31?   
------------------------------------------------------------
Births Mar 1859
WINN  William Henry     Huddersfield  9a 301   
-------------------------------------------------------------
Births Sep 1860
WHIN*  Martha     Huddersfield  9a ___   
WIM*  *     Huddersfield  9a 241   
WINN  ____[n_][t_]     Huddersfield  9a __[9_]   
--------------------------------------------------------------
Births Dec 1861
WINN  Charles Basil     Huddersfield  9a 301   
------------------------------------------
I recommend you only use the IGI as a pointer to possible relatives then you must obtain the actual baptism, marriage, death documents either from sites such as englishorigins which provide images to download or sometimes local cities (such as Hull) have a website which provides ordering facilities. The government also has a website where you can order the above certificate by quoting names and the reference numbers (e.g. 9a/301). Unfortunately I can't recall the http URL.

As I've already mentioned many districts had naming patterns and the usual one was:
1st son named after father's father
2nd son named after mother's father,
3rd son named after father
4th son named after father's eldest brother
1st dau. named after mother's mother
2nd dau named after father's mother
3rd dau named after mother
4th dau named after mother's eldest sister.
If the wife died before she had a (3rd) daughter named after herself, quite often the 2nd wife named her 1st daughter after the first wife.

Hope I've been of some help.
Rena in Lancashire
=
Anyone have any information about this family?

My g,g grandmother was Cecily WYNNE b. 1822/3 in Snape, Yorkshire. She married John SMITH (not sure when or where), but then lived in Huddersfield.

I think her father was Thomas WYNNE (But not sure where I got that infomation from!)

The 1851 census has my family of John & Cicely with their children living in Bradford Road, Hudderesfield.  Further along Bradford Road was Thomas WINN, his wife Mary and their children.
Could be a coincidence, but Thomas was also born in Snape, Yks. Looks like my Cecily's brother ( Ceciliy is 27 yrs old, Thomas 36 - obviously not her father!)

Can anyone help with further information? Or let me know wher to look to find out Ceciliy's parents, or marriage.

Thank you
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 06 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rena
Thank you very much for the information. I am sending off for the marriage certificate at this moment. Thank you for finding that. I'm not sure why I didn't find it; I do use 'freebmd' a lot.
As for the children/siblings - that'll have to be put on hold until I've a little more time.

Thank you again, Happy New Year,
Gill