Author Topic: Leckie Family - Fintry/Balfron/Gargunnock  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Blacklabmadgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Leckie Family - Fintry/Balfron/Gargunnock
« on: Monday 07 November 05 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Trying to find information on a John Leckie, a farmer who married Agnes Neilson in either Fintry or Balfron in 1779.  They had at least four children: John b 1780 Balfron, Thomas b. 1781 Balfron, Martha b. 1786 Balfron and William b. 1788 Fintry.  Thomas is my direct line.  Thomas became a doctor in Bonhill and married a Letitia Dyer but I have been unable to find a record of this marriage.  Later information I have on Letitia is that she was of Irish origin.  William went on to become an inn-keeper and married Elizabeth Rennie in 1828 (Kippen or Fintry).  Their grandson, Joseph Alexander Leckie went on to become the Mayor of Walsall and an MP!  Martha married a chap called John Comrie and died in 1867 in Glasgow.

I'm having trouble trying to find John Leckie's parents - I suspect he had a brother called Alexander but I can't be sure.  I don't even have an approximate age for him but I do know that Agnes was born about 1747 (according to the IGI) so would guess he would be born around the mid-1740's.

Can anyone help?
Leckie, Neilson, Hogg, Paton