Author Topic: Cheshire Geography  (Read 3105 times)

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshire Geography
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 November 05 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear Bob, an Almsman was someone in receipt of parish relief.  This was usually the elderly as you state.  However in some parishes there were almshouses, which were residences provided by the parish or a generous benefactor.  If you look at the address on the census you may be able to identify whether your ancestor was residing in one of these houses or homes.
Where I live in Cheshire there are still some houses which have plaques on them denoting the name of the benefactor.
Good Luck
Kath
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline Robert B. Croman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 November 05 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Peter,

I cannot say at this point in time whether your Thomas Barrow of Haslington, b. 1847 and my Thomas Barrow b. about 1775/6 in Chrislington?, Cheshire are connected.   I do know that my Thomas had a daughter by the name of Margaret Barrow b. about 1818/19, Wrexham and she married a Joseph Hall b. about 1820 who was listed as from Tarvin, Cheshire.    Looking at the map I find that Tarvin is not too far from Christleton, so perhaps Christleton is the birthplace for my Thomas Barrow.
Thanks again for your help and guidance.

Best regards,
Bob Croman

Offline hheapet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 November 05 20:01 GMT (UK) »
hi again,

follow the link below to see how Crislington looked in th1800's

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/gazetteer/10ches051/10ches051gazC.htm

peter
Staffordshire - Egan - Talbot - Wainwright - Scally - Horsley-Thacker
Ireland - Egan (Mayo) Scally (Roscommon)
Australia - Egan
Cheshire - Taylor-Goodier-Bagnall-Carless-Hancock-Barker-Stubbs-Hough-Marsland-Jones-Barrow-Cowap Horsley-Dixon
Cumberland - Musgrove
Berwick - Swinney-Ford-McLeod
Edinburgh - Swinney
Worcester - Maggs

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

You must be careful here.You appear to be getting the areas confused,but that is only because they are confusing.

There is an area of Cheshire which is known as Great Boughton(note no R),which included Broughton(note the R) which is in Flintshire.

To make it even more confusing,there is an area, just to the west/north west, of Wrexham,Denbighshire which was known as Broughton(note the R).

I must agree that Christleton is probably the correct version of Christington.

I think you'll find if you Google Great Boughton and Broughton(Flints and Denbs) things may possibly become a little clearer.

Best of luck........... :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Robert B. Croman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this information.    I think my GGGGgrandfather, Thomas Barrow was living in the Broughton which is just NW of Wrexham.   In fact in the 1851 census the listing was in the Broughton, Brymbo pages.    As I recently said I got his 1856 death registration (Wrexham) and it listed his address and that of his son (also Thomas Barrow) as Mogs?, Broughton.   Searching through Broughton using UK StreetMap. com, I think that Mogs is actually Moss which seems to be very close to Brymbo.
Again many thanks for your help and kindness.

Best regards,
Bob Croman