Author Topic: Please help with this photo  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Man of Kent

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Please help with this photo
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 November 05 21:18 GMT (UK) »

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 November 05 21:22 GMT (UK) »
I have had a look at that link and it looks like it is the Victoria Photo Co, 295 Edgware Road,Paddington.

I will investigate further and see what else I can find.

Thanks for the help.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 November 05 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Royal Artillery to me. Check out this picture (http://www.soldiersofthequeen.com/page11a-RoyalArtilleryPrivateandTwinSister.html) of a much too young looking soldier and it looks an identical uniform.

Also, the collar badge looks like the one my grandfather had on his RA uniform, minus the fancy bit at the bottom. The belt buckle looks very similar as well.

Alternatively, the Grenade collar badge was and still is worn by the Royal Engineers, and they now differ by the Artillery having seven flames and the Engineers having nine. Difficult to see exactly how many on this, and I don't know how they have changed over time.

Maybe someone on Army board may be able to give some idea of colours for that period. I'm currently colourising this picture of my grandfather and I think it was a deep blue with red trim at this time, but there's a cartoon (http://www.costumes.org/history/aquariangallery/RoyalArtillery1870s.jpg) of a Royal Artillery soldier from 1870s which seems to be black with red trim.

Glen

skippy

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Wish I had a similar pic of my ancestors................. Pictorial History and more

.............its a very endearing and nice frank photograph.

Skippy

Offline Man of Kent

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 02:32 GMT (UK) »
I had problems fiiting this, maybe the none use of sepia. ???

Offline Man of Kent

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Royal Artillary would then point to Woolwich Arsenal Barracks.

Offline rkaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Large version in msg

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for everyones help on this, it is very much appreciated. I was sent a lot of old photos on disc from a relative and that was the first I have posted for repair. The difference is amazing.

I will go through the rest and see what I can do, if I fail miserably I may well be posting more for help with!!

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean