Author Topic: Alexander Brousseau  (Read 1609 times)

Offline philb623

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Alexander Brousseau
« on: Monday 07 November 05 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information on my Great Grandfather Alexander Brousseau, born 1855 in Ste-Agathe-des-Monts, Quebec.  According to his death certificate his Father's name was Michael but does not list his mother's name.

Interested in any information about his parents & siblings. Trying to determine Alexander's mothers name.   A family story indicates that Alexander still has relatives living in Canada in the early 1900s.

He married Lucy LaCrois November 15, 1873 in St. Mary's Church, Coxsackie, Greene County NY.  Alexander died June 10, 1910 due to a train accident, Rensselaer, NY
Holahan, Mahar, Sullivan, Meagher, Wythers, MacNamara, Phillips, Tracy, O'Brien, Clancy, O'Gara, Brousseau, LaCroix

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Brousseau
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have his marriage record and obit?  One or both of those should list his mother's name.

Was he married in a Catholic church?  If so, can you contact the appropriate diocese and ask for info regarding his marriage?

Have you located him in the 1900 & 1910 census records, just in case his mother might have been living with him?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline sjsbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you tried looking on the Canadian census in Quebec there are 1166 Brousseau listed on the 1901 census.

Without any other details it would be hard to treack your family as I saw no Michael listed.  There is however at least one family living in St Agathe QU.

here is the link in case you do not have it.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

Sue
SCOTLAND: Scotland, Morrison, Bonnella, Third,
LINCOLNSHIRE: Bell, King, Emerson, Leesing, Canty, Cutting, Fox,
GLOUCESTERSHIRE: Antill, Onslow, Crook, Jenkins,
LANCASHIRE: Hall, Mayson, Dearden,
WILTSHIRE: Sloper, King, Willis, Stockwell,
ESSEX: Stone, Webb, Smith, Hawkins, Frye,
SOMERSET: Harrison, Jones,

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 16:06 GMT (UK) »
hello

here is one possibility

http://mesaieux.com/an/default.htm

Marriage: On October 16, 1833 in L'immaculee-Conception
Town/District: Trois-Rivieres/Francheville

Between Michel Brousseau and Elisabeth Tasse

Parents: Parents:

Isidore Brousseau   Marie Thiffault

Antoine Tasse   Marie Leclair

Good luck

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline myosotis

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 December 05 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil, everyone.  I'm not sure where our g-grandfather Alexander was born.  St-Agathe-des-Monts is a location your dad spoke of.  Not necessarily Alexander's birthplace but where relatives were living when your dad visited.  You might want to see if you can pin down when your dad was there and ask if he can recall any names. 

I've checked the Canadian census of 1881, 1901, 1911 & I think 1861.  Even when you include Brousseau variants there are not many Michel/Michael's.  I'm searching now for descendants of Michel Brousseau and Celina Brunet/Brunette hoping they may know if this is the correct Michel. 

Michel and Celina at least have Terrebonne County connections and Michel is about the right age.  If this is the right Michel, Celina is not the mother of Alexander.  Michel & Celina were married in Ste-Sauveur, Terrebonne, PQ 5/11/1863.  Alexander was born about 1855. 

Michel was born about either 1816 or 1819 depending on the source.  I'm able to trace Michel's ancestry back 4 generations and have identified siblings married in St-Sauveur and St-Janvier, Terrebonne, PQ.  Michel And Celina had eight children. 

1.  Joseph m. Louise Labelle, children Francois & Rosa m. Leopold Desrochers.
2.  Xavier.
3.  Celina m. Napoleon Geurard.
4.  Rosina m. Francois Paquet.
5.  Angelina m1. Gideon Grenier, m2. Cleophas Dumoulin.
6.  Celestin.
7.  Cleophas m. Alexina Paquet, son Napoleon m. Lucie Maille.
8.  Evangeliste m. Georgianna Paquet.

Please reply if you recognize any of these names or have any information on Terrebonne Brousseau's.  Thanks.