• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 November 05 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Bob,

You can search the 1841 census yourself at FreeCEN at:
http://freecen.rootsweb.com/

But remember that it is not complete.  Also that, in the 1841 census, relationships were not given and ages of persons over 15 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5.

If you search on FreeCEN, you will find that John, Andrew and David SCOTT  (information provided by Sylvia) comprised the complete household - and the address was 26 Tobago St, Canongate in the parish of St Cuthberts.  There were also people called SCOTT in the neighbouring household.

The death certificate of John SCOTT seems to be your best  (only?) hope of finding out the names of his parents.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

JAP

Offline myscotia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 November 05 23:45 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the 1841 census and it looks like to me that the Scott family were occupying two residences.  The boys in one and the girls in another.  In the girls house,Jane Scott 45 would be the mother. Then there are two daughters Jane and Helen.
There is also Mary Ramage with FS as occupation which I would guess to be female servant?
These names, Jane and Helen are also family names whiich leads me to the above conclusion.  There is no "father" present so maybe he died.
If anybody has the 1851 census we may find some more answers.
Regards, Bob.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 November 05 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Mary RAMAGE's occupation is spelled out in full on FreeCEN as 'female servant'.

I note that, in the IGI, there is the birth of a Mary RAMAGE, 3 Apr 1820, St Cuthberts, parents James RAMAGE and Janet SCOTT - might perhaps be this Mary.  The IGI has the marriage of those parents and other children born to them.

The conclusions you draw might well be correct - but they might not.  Incidentally, the forenames in the two SCOTT households are very common and many people with Scottish forebears would say, with you, that these are 'family names' :)

The entries for John in the 1861 and 1871 censuses (which are online at ScotlandsPeople) might be of use.

For interest, do let us know the names of John's parents when you get his death cert. 

JAP

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes as a Scott of Midlothian Descendant searching for a particular Scott can be a nightmare.
I was extremely fortunate that my Grandpa was John Scott & so inherited all the family papers,certificates etc(his Mother had no brothers so we lucked out on that side too).John Scott goes down about five generations although my brother has made it a middle name for son.
The original John hailed from Lilliesleaf in Rox.& that's a laugh too as there are so many John Scott's.His son moved to Glencorse,Penicuik & there is a John Scott living in Penicuik today who is the Grandson of my Grandfather's brother.He has given me more Scott info after tracking him down.
If I didnt know his wife was Helen Veitch from her original Death Certificate in 1888 would have foundered.
Waddell-Perthshire,Dollar,Clydebank,Glasgow & USA.
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
McKimmies-Aberdeenshire,Banff,Morayshire,Niagara&NewJersey.Old Kilpatrick.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Veitch-Peebles,Crawfordjohn,Midlothian.
Ross,Torrance,Brown,McDowall.
Greer/Simpson/Jenkins-Old Kilpatrick& Camelon Falkirk,Abbey/Neilston
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Breakenridge/Liddell-Temple Midlothian.
Aitchison
Fraser/Barron/Coutts/Singer.
Waddell-USA after 1923.
McFarlanes-Midlothian/Australia.

Offline myscotia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 23:17 GMT (UK) »
I have found out that the parents of (my) John Scott were James Scott and Jane Edgar, and they were married in Edinburgh 24 November 1812.  This marriage record is from the IGI.     Batch No. M119834
         Source call No. 1066690
                          Film 6900815
I have been unable to find a birth or death record for either of them.  I hope some one may recognize these names.
               Regards,  Bob Scott