Author Topic: Stewarts of Dundee  (Read 4603 times)

Offline marshv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stewarts of Dundee
« on: Monday 30 August 04 09:44 BST (UK) »
I am searching the family history of the Stewart family.

What I have so far is as follows.

William Stewart (2nd GG Father) born18 Sep 1827 in Dundee to Hugh Stewart and Mary (may be Small). William had 4 children that I have found so far, they are, Mary Ann 1866, Ralph 1871, Jane Patison 1858, David 1860.

Williams parents Hugh and Mary had 9 children, Isabel 1812, Mary 1816, Hugh 1818, Robert Davey 1820, George 1822, Barbara Anderson 1825, William 1827, Elizabeth Elder 1830, and John 1832.

I notice that in both families some of their children appear to have Surnames as First names. Are these Maiden names from their ancestors?

Any help on this line, or where I could search for information would be great.

Thanks

Victor Marshall

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Stewarts of Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 January 05 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Victor

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline christiney1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Victor
I was wondering if any of these names  on your tree.

I have a Robert Stewart (born unknown) died 1884 Dundee. He had 2 sons which we know of with  Jane Kinnoch   (marriage not confirmed yet) The sons where
Peter Kinnoch Stewart born 1863
William Stewart born 1865
both boys born illigitimate in perth scotland. Peter is G Grandfather he married Helen Gilbert Mckenzie in 1884 and had 12 children
Jane  1884  ,  margaret mill 1886 ,  jessie cadden 1888  ,mary handy    1890   ,    catherine mckenzie 1892,  peter 1894,  davina millar 1896,  james mckenzie   1998, ellen stewart 1901,  robert kinnoch 1902 (grandfather), agnes shannon culley 1907 and Elizabeth fyffe mckenzie 1909.   

last 5 children except robert died in childhood in Dundee.

Elder also appears in my tree but on peter's wife Helen mckenzie side her brother was Alexander Elder mckenzie b 1861 in Dundee
Surnames seem to appear as middle names here.
look forward to hearing from you
christine

DUNDEE - Stewart, Mckenzie, Fenton,
GLASGOW -  young , Robertson,

Offline rb1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 August 05 04:05 BST (UK) »
I'm very interested in James Farquharson Stewart of Windsor Place, Dundee.  He married Elizabeth Martyn Smith, and they had a daughter, Elsie Elizabeth, who married Mr. Archibald Goodfellow in 1897, and after his death in 1913 married again in 1920 to Sir William Lamond Allardyce, Governor of the Bahamas, and then of Tasmania, and then of Newfoundland.

It seems that the Stewarts lived in Dundee around the 1860s, 1870s and 1880s.  I would enormously appreciate more information about Farquharson Stewart and his wife -- birth, marriage, death, other children, etc.  If anyone could look them up in the censuses, that would be very helpful and well worth posting.

Ray Bromley
      rb1947

Offline pamissearching!!!

• RootsChat Veteran
  • searching..............
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi;
  I dont suppose you have a William Stewart [a slaterer] married to Jean Adamson circa 1750 anywhere on your tree. There children were Clementina b 1759, Catherine 1754 and Cockburn 1756 all born Dundee.
        Cheers Pam
prince,bolt,mcleod,mckenzie,robertson,southgate, rider,fry, riddle,neale,taylor,newton,blythe,worrall,gunn,skingley,stewart,morrish,morriss,cobb,skull,carey, Miller, ALexander,