Author Topic: Surname interest  (Read 3679 times)

Offline frogfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Surname interest
« on: Monday 30 August 04 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

My surname interests in Bucks are RAY and TUNKS - about 1830's back.  The ones I have are in Buckingham and Nash.
Arnell, Babb, Baker, Barnes, Bennett, Burlingham, Carpenter, Comley, Cook, Daniel, Darracott, Gathercole, Hall, Hardy, Harrop, Hine, Hoy, Lambert, Langford, Murray, Ray, Reed, Risdon, Smith, Tait, Tunks, Whiley,

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Surname interest
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 November 04 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Frogfan,

How well you are doing with your research to get back to the 1830's most impressed  8)

Can you tell us a little more about your Ray and Trunks family. Perhaps if we know where you are upto and what you have tried then perhaps we can try to help (if we can)

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frogfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 07 17:31 BST (UK) »
1 Humphrey RAY bn 1807 Nash Buckinghamshire, eventually married Mary TUNKS.  His father is also    2 Humphrey RAY bn 1780 married Anna KING. Humphrey RAY 2 also had father
3 Humphrey RAY
Arnell, Babb, Baker, Barnes, Bennett, Burlingham, Carpenter, Comley, Cook, Daniel, Darracott, Gathercole, Hall, Hardy, Harrop, Hine, Hoy, Lambert, Langford, Murray, Ray, Reed, Risdon, Smith, Tait, Tunks, Whiley,

Offline SelinaA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am trying to find out more about Humphrey Ray and his two wives. I have details from another person on the Ancestry website that he married Mary Dickens on 10 April 1828 (no paperwork to back this up). They had Mary Ann (1829), Rebecca (1832), William (1833) and Betsey (1833). The possible date I have found for Mary Dickens death is 1838 and Humphrey then married Mary Tunks in 1840. They have five other children: Emma Tunks Ray (1834), John Ray (1840), Humphrey Ray (1841), Thomas Ray (1843) and George Ray (1857). My problems are: first, if Emma Ray was the daughter of Mary Tunks (hence her second name which is shown on her marriage and death details), her date of birth appears to be pre their wedding and before Mary Dickens died. Being born before they married is not inconceivable, although I would have thought that it would have been frowned on at that time with Humphrey's occupation as a policeman. I can't see this being true if his first wife was still alive though. Second, my ancestor is a Edward Tunks who was born in 1826. I have him connected to this family (as a son of Mary Tunks), but again don't have any paperwork to support this. Was Mary married before she married Humphrey Ray and is he really connected to this family? ???

Offline frogfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hey Selina

Humphrey Ray born in 1806 married Mary Dickens in 1828.  However he had an affair with Mary Tunks and they had several children before they married in 1840 following Mary Dickens death. 

Edward Tunks was the eldest son of Mary Tunks and Humphrey Ray - His baptism is recorded in St Peter Buckingham, BKM.  I think it has both parents down at his baptism but will check.

As for Humphrey's conduct being a policeman - The police records of Buckingham constabulary are held at Bucks Record Office - and there is a record of Humphrey being Drunk on Duty - I don't think he worried about what people thought about him!!!!!! ;D

Offline SelinaA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi - I would love to find out more about the family if you have the information. Seem to have ground to a halt as regards this side of my family. It's good to know that the connection is definately there as I couldn't find any birth records for Edward through ancestry.com. My email address is .......................... Thanks for the info - nice to see that a love of alcohol has its root far back in the past!!!!  ;D
Moderator Comment: Email address removed to prevent spamming etc.  Please use our personal message system.  Click on the green scroll under the poster's name.  New members need at least two posts to access the system