Author Topic: where do I find a Will Leighton Buzzard Thomas Green  (Read 1155 times)

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
where do I find a Will Leighton Buzzard Thomas Green
« on: Tuesday 08 November 05 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me how I go about looking for a will for somebody who died in 1847 Leighton Buzzard please?  Would an agricultural labourer at that time have left a will?   

I have the death certificate for Thomas Green who died 8th June 1847 at Leighton Buzzard, he was 76 a labourer. 

I am trying to find out more about Thomas.  He would have been born about 1771.   He married Sarah Narroway in Leighton Buzzard on 11/10/1796. The only child I can find to Thomas and Sarah Narroway is George Green born 1798.  I have quite a lot of information on George Green but would like to see if he left a will.  He was a bricklayer.

There is only one child listed for Sarah and Thomas Green on the IGI for Leighton Buzzard. I would have thought that they would have had more than one child.  They both lived to their 70's. 

In 1841 Thomas was living with Sarah his wife and granddaughter in Leighton Buzzard., North West of North Street.   Thomas Said he was not from this county. 

I dont know where Thomas was born. Sarah came from Pitstone in Bucks.

Can anyone help me with any advice on finding Thomas;s birth and other children for them. 

Thanks for your advice
caron
Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where do I find a Will Leighton Buzzard Thomas Green
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 08:11 GMT (UK) »
As it's pre 1858 you could try sending an email to BLARS at Bedford at Archive@bedscc.gov.uk asking if they have a copy. None of my ag lab ancestors made wills.

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 11:27 GMT (UK) »
thank you David. I will try that. 

Apart from trying to see if there was a will made, is there any other information I can research to find out about Thomas. I dont know where he was born, and he was only on the 1841 census.
As he was a carrier and an Ag Labourer, I dont imagine he would be in any directories.

I have looked for Thomas's birth on the IGI at around 1771 in Bedfordshire but no luck.  I understand that all the parish records for Beds have been transcribed on the IGI.    Are there any other records I can look at for his birth. He said he was not born in the county.  I suppose surrounding counties may be worth checking! 

Unfortunately I cannot get to do research out of the house due to illness, so I would need to be able to ask for help with finding this information

Thank you
Caron

Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Wife Sarah was from Bucks. 1841 says Thomas not born in Beds, supported by the fact that he's not on the IGI in Beds.

I would think Bucks is the best place to start but I have no idea as what the coverage is like for that county on the IGI, or what records are available either online or as transcripts on fiche/CDrom.  Doubtless Bucks FHS and Buckingham Record Office have websites which would be able to point you in the right direction.

My Beds ancestors moved NE to Hunts and Cambs, not SW into Bucks!

Good hunting

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 14:19 GMT (UK) »
thank you  David.  What a common name I am looking for.  What I find strange is that there is only one child listed for them on the IGI. Most people had more than one child.   I wanted to find some document for him with his place of birth on it to give me a clue!

thanks caron