Author Topic: Precious Picture help please  (Read 4615 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Precious Picture help please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 November 05 00:52 GMT (UK) »
As you say, that area of the boy is definately the worst, I hadn't realised that the picture had been torn - but I'm sure you're right again. The second parting also appears to have that repeat pattern of poor cloning.
                                                        Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline rkaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 November 05 01:54 GMT (UK) »
As you say, that area of the boy is definately the worst, I hadn't realised that the picture had been torn - but I'm sure you're right again. The second parting also appears to have that repeat pattern of poor cloning.
                                                        Denn

Hmm. I think the white area - the "second parting" - is a scratch or bend damage of sorts.. like it has been slightly bumped and stretched right there, and the coating has spread slightly and later worn off a bit from friction against other surfaces..
If you look closely, enhance contrast a wee bit and do an "auto color", you'll see there's a darker half circle but in reverse, to the left of it. Togeher they form a kind of leaf shaped circle, pointing north by northwest. Subtle stuff. It could have been slightly pushed against the head of a nail or something.

The three darker small strokes aren't indentical - not sure what they are.

As for the boys hair, you may well be right and it's cloning all together. Ugly damage
 - regardless.

Fun to fantasize about how damages came to be.. it can aid the retouch if one gets a idea about what happened in various areas. Retouching is a kind of "reverse engineering".

Here's a version with less second parting:

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 November 05 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Well thank you for all your thoughts about the damage, sadly I have no idea how or when the damage happened, I only have a copy on disc, sent to me by a relative.

The results are very good and I appreciate everyones time and help.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean