Author Topic: Precious Picture help please  (Read 4614 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Precious Picture help please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 November 05 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted Prue,
        Yes, there are a couple of "iffy" spots, notably the boy's head, Dad's second parting and the boy's jacket (mum's side) - they are a result of careless cloning. I was in so much of a hurry I didn't notice them until after I had posted.
        As soon as I get chance I shall attempt to fix them.
                                                   Denn

Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 November 05 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Jakky,
       This one has fixed the probs, I shall email this again,
                                        Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 November 05 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Denn, I think the problem with the boy's head is in the original scan, not a result of your cloning work.  See the pic originally posted - something weird going on with the scanner maybe?  Nicky, do you have the original photo or did someone send you a scan they'd done of it?  Maybe that someone  had a go at digital repair?

No great importance, but the more I look the more it bugs me  ;D

CHeers

Prue

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 November 05 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue

Sadly I dont have the original photo, they were sent to me on a disc and this is the only photo that has all the family together, except the youngest who wasnt yet born.

I see what you mean about the eldest boys head! I have actually posted a photo of him as a man for help with. He very sadly died in March 1945 in a POW.

I really appreciate everyones time and skill in improving this photo.

Nicky

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 November 05 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes Prue,
       It was the copy that Nikky had which had been worked on previously - not a result of my work (for once), The repeated areas on his parting and other areas were a sure tell tale of cloning problems.

Offline rkaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 November 05 21:49 GMT (UK) »
CS2 keeps crashing when I work on this. Tried a reboot and working on a copy but went
 down for the third time. So I give up. File is damaged somehow. But here's a crop of a
fairly finished area - thinking it perhaps is better than nothing (colorwise)

Regarding the damage on and around the boys head: Looks to me someone has
attempted to fix it on the original paper copy, with medium success. Things like that are
much easyer in PS.. they should have left it alone. But it may have happened a long ago
of course.

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 November 05 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Nice colour RK
     Pity about your CS2, do you think that the second parting on dad's head is also from some prevous cloning?
                                          Denn

Offline rkaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 November 05 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Nice colour RK
     Pity about your CS2, do you think that the second parting on dad's head is also from some prevous cloning?
                                          Denn

The CS2 i s otherwise fine.. it's just that file which has worked itself into a state of
complete weirdness and I can't seem to work around it. Not aching to start from
scratch.

I don't think the repair is cloning.. I think it the photo may have been behind glass, and removing the glass tore off a piece of the image. I think someone have tried to partly glue it back on, partly reconstruct it otherwise, right on the remains.

Not sure what you mean by "the second parting" on his head..
There are only two areas I think was deliberatly tampered with, none are on the
fathers head. The rest seems to be scratches, spots, bends, smudges.. the usual smaller damages.

The appears to be a darker "blob"/stroke across on the upper part of his moustache,
 partly covering the lower tip of his noise, a smudge or unfortunate jpg artifact by the
 looks of it.

Here's an approximate outline of the bigger damage, as far as I can judge from an
unmodified copy:

Offline rkaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 November 05 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hmm looking at it again, some of the repair *is* actually cloning. The dark curved blobs on the boys suite. Lousy job, but it may have been a white spot before the repair.