Author Topic: Family Tree Maker  (Read 1928 times)

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
Family Tree Maker
« on: Wednesday 09 November 05 19:22 GMT (UK) »
some has sent me a family tree maker file with their family tree I want to use it on lecacey but can not cnvert it to ged as i only have the family tree maker Free version which stops me converting it to a ged file   Any way i can do it with out purchasing ftw

Jim
Jeves, Sparkes, Downton, Chaney, Digby, Jenkins, Taylor, Hiscock, NOAKE, McCabe, Harman, Cuffay, Lloyd, Jamieson Lister,Rimmer,Kryten, Kochanski, Holly                                            Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Maker
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 05 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Jim

The person who has it should be able to convert it to a ged file and send it to you again (if they have a full version of FTM).

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 November 05 23:54 GMT (UK) »
On the subject of FTM, I am using version 8 and have a large database with nearly 7000 people in it.  I use the notes to record a lot and many of them are very large records containing anecdotes, research notes and census information, for example.

I have found in the last couple of months that the programs is now 'freezing' a couple of times a day and crashing my whole computer.  I'm lucky I haven't lost any data yet but suspect its only a matter of time.

Does anyone know if the latest version is any better with large databases, or should I be considering moving to another program?

Leonie
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 November 05 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leonie

I haven't got that many folks - so can't help in that regard BUT - I do know that if I do not have my default printer attached and available, and I go into notes - the system basically freezes looking for the printer. As I use my husbands networked printer  which is often not there (his computer is off), I have created a "dummy" printer on my system.

Could this be the problem? My largest FTM file is 35mb, but that is mainly because of pictures. Like you, I put most of my info into notes - including obituraries census etc etc.
Should mention I use V11 - but until 6 months ago V5 - which seemed to me exactly the same.

Trish

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 November 05 00:54 GMT (UK) »
I doubt my problem is the printer.  I change printers often and its currently set to a driver that prints to pdf files (very useful!).

It doesn't happen at once - it seems to freeze only after I have been working for a while and added a dozen or so people.  I suspect it has something to do with how it saves the data as you go along.  It seems to freeze as I'm flipping from notes to the main screen view.   I've got to the stage where I close it and open it again after adding a few people so it doesn't freeze.  This does help, I've found, but every now and then I forget and get another freeze.

Leonie
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 November 05 00:56 GMT (UK) »
A bit off the subject.  The latest Australian version I saw selling had a CD of passengers lists from 1824 to 1926 (or there abouts).   Has anyone had a look at this - what is the quality of the data?

Leonie

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 November 05 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Not in my version - but looking at the dates I would suspect a large % is the online Victorian immigration lists - could be wrong - the 1926 would have to be Fed files I would think.

Trish

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I now use FTM10 and current file size with photos and 12,000 rellies in 458MB! :o  I use win98 with 512 of memory and a large hard drive!  I do back it up on the network at home to other computers and CD just in case.  Never really had a problem.

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
REDSHAW - Hamsterley, DUR
REYNOLDS - Fritton,Stratton,NFK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
TALLACK - St Agnes Padstow,CON
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum
WILSON - Hamsterley, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 01:51 GMT (UK) »
I might make an upgrade my Christmas present to myself!

Cheers
Leonie