Author Topic: lookup 1851 and 1861 census Edinburgh  (Read 1404 times)

searchertwo

lookup 1851 and 1861 census Edinburgh
« on: Wednesday 09 November 05 23:47 GMT (UK) »

would someone please look up this family  I've been unable to find a marriage for them
 John Elliott b 1810? Edinburgh 
Mary Ann Reeves  b 1826 Whiltshire wife
Thomas Elliott b 1849 Edinburgh
Margaret Elliott b1850 Edinburgh
Alex Elliott b  1854 Edinburgh
William b 1857 Edinburgh
Violet b 1860 Edinburgh
John parents Joseph and Violet married in 1807 Cannongate  so they might be on the 1851 census
thankyou

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: lookup 1851 and 1861 census Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 November 05 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi searchertwo,

Have you noticed a Joseph ELLIOT and a Violet ELLIOT in the 1841 census on FreeCEN - perhaps this might be the Joseph who married Vilot CLARK with a daughter named after her mother?  Unfortunately relationships, marital status, etc are not shown in the 1841, and ages are rounded down.

At 28 High St, Fountain Close, Edinburgh
ELLIOT Joseph, 60, male servant, born in the county
ELLIOT Violet, 25, female servant, born in Scotland but not Midlothian
WILSON Mary, 30, female servant, born in Scotland but not Midlothian

Where did you get the information you posted above?  I ask because I cannot find in the IGI the birth of a William ELLIOTT ca 1857 nor the birth of a Violet ELLIOTT ca 1860 - and the IGI is usually very reliable for records of births in Scotland (extracted from the Statutory Register) from the start of statutory registration in 1855 until ca 1875.

There is only one Violet ELLIOT* birth in Scotland (from the Free Search on ScotlandsPeople) from 1855 to 1865 - this is is 1856 and, as can be seen from the IGI, this would be Violet Monfries ELLIOT, daughter of Thomas ELLIOT and Margaret MONFRIES.

You can search the 1861 census yourself (the 1851 is not yet on line) at the pay-per-view site ScotlandsPeople at:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

But what evidence do you have that John and Mary Ann were in Scotland in either 1851 or 1861?  Though, that said, a free search on SP does find a 1 year old Violet ELLIOT in the 1861 census.

JAP
PS: I note that you have posted the same query on the Midlothian board.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 November 05 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again searchertwo,

What was John ELLIOT's occupation?

Here's an interesting record in the 1841 on FreeCEN.

4 Little King St, Canongate, Midlothian
ELLIOT John, 31, Shoemaker Journeyman, born Midlothian
ELLIOT Eliza, 6, born England
ELLIOT John, 4, born England
SAMUEL Janet, 48, Housekeeper, born Midlothian
REIVES Mariann, 15, Shoe Binder, born England.

JAP

searchertwo

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 November 05 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi JAP
thanks for that bit of info it does sound like the right Joseph on his marriage he's down as a servant Violet nee Clark came from Trannet I have the family on the 1871-1901 census they moved between Newcastle and Edinburgh Also thanks for the info on the Scotland's people web will have a look on there for the census I was on it a few years ago looking for Mary and Johns marriage but never found one Is there anywhere I can search the 1851 for Edinburgh?apart from traveling to Scotland ? I have a sub for ancestry but it doesn't have Scotland I also need to look on the 1871 as my ggrandfather had just got married in Newcastle 1870 but he's not on the English census for 1871  so it looks like he was in Edinburgh back in England in 1875 but back up in Edinburgh for the 1881
searchertwo

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 November 05 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello again searchertwo,

I don't know what is available in terms of indexes to the 1851 census of Edinburgh (it would be a very large area to search without an index!).
I note on the Scottish Genealogy Society site that they have a surname index for Midlothian but EXCLUDING Edinburgh and Leith!
A search of the Family History library catalogue on the FamilySearch site seems to indicate that they have films of the 1851 Edinburgh census, and of a street index to it - but not a surname index?
ScotlandsPeople plans to put the 1851 census on line but when that will happen is anyone's guess - I won't be holding my breath!
I hope that someone with more experience of searching in Edinburgh will be able to provide further information about the 1851 census.

Your first step seems to be to go to the pay-per-view site ScotlandsPeople and search the 1861 census for John, Mary Ann, and their family and see what, if anything, you find.

JAP

searchertwo

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 November 05 08:51 GMT (UK) »
thanks again
will try  ScotlandsPeople again