Author Topic: Dal.  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dal.
« on: Thursday 10 November 05 00:04 GMT (UK) »
I have recently found the will of my mother's great grandfather GORDON MacLEOD of Lochbay House ,Stein, Skye and of Glencassley,Sutherland 1826 - 1873

He was born in Dal, parish of Farr, son of  Donald McLeod a Gaelic teacher and his wife Elizabeth Mackenzie Gordon in 14 Nov 1826.

Is DAL a township or a shortened form of Dalharrald say?

He had a sister Elizabeth Maria who married a Daniel Reid , shipowner in Glasgow.

His brother William is listed as of Middlesbro on Tees and his second sister Janette was married to Robert Reid a writer in Wishaw. Any umpteenth cousins out there?

Sadly Gordon McLeod's wife Mary LESLIE of Dunlugas in Banff died young possibly in childbirth and a wet nurse is on the census of 1861 for 5 month old Henrietta. Did she survive I wonder.
Her siblings were Mary Wilhelmina Louisa(my grt gran) and George William .

Any information much appreciated.
Fransmoi.
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dal.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 05 02:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry I do not have an answer to your question - but there is a picture of Farr church (and some history) which is now a museum here

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/bettyhill/bettyhill/index.html

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gordon5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dal.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 February 10 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Found a link to a Sutherland website with a section on burial grounds in Farr. They've been fully photographed and transcribed, viewable for a one off payment of GBP 6.

http://www.countysutherland.co.uk/11.html

Possible that Gordon McCleod's parents are buried there and therefore you can get further damily details?

gordon5
Steadwood worldwide, Horsburgh, McBean (and variants), Pride, Ross, mostly in the Lothian and Borders area, Ingles and variants from Buckie, Wilson, Stoddart.