Author Topic: BARKERS OF NORWICH  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Rosemary*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BARKERS OF NORWICH
« on: Thursday 10 November 05 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Jonathan Barker (1824 Norwich) married Sarah Woodgate (1824 Hapton) in 1847. Jonathan and Sarah had 6 children - Jonathan,Harriet,William,Robert,Henry and Samuel.
Jonathan's father was Samuel Barker (1785) - Norwich - Weaver.
In the 1851 census Samuel and his wife Ann ( 1790 Stalham) are living in Norwich. OK so far, all in order. ( I don't have the 1841 census)  BUT - - -
I have found on Family Search a Samuel Barker who married an Ann Suffling in 1807 and also a christening of a Samuel Barker at St. Mary At Coslany. Norwich in 1784, who's parents are William Barker and Lydia Beevon.
What I would like to know is - How can I make sure that I have the correct Samuel Barker ? How can I find out for sure that Jonathans mother was Ann Suffling? and that his parents were William and Lydia ?.
Please some kind soul guide me in the correct direcction !!!

I would be delighted to share all the information I have of the Barker's from Norwich and am always hoping to make contact with any of the family.

Jonathan's eldest son was also Jonathan (1849) - who married Amelia Metcalf Cordwell. Family history states that they had 22 children - I have so far traced 14.

Rosemary

Osmond - Somerset/Dorset. Wheeler - Berkshire/Hampshire. Benham - Berkshire. Barker - Norfolk. Metcalf - Norfolk. Cordwell - Norfolk. Prentice - Suffolk. Farrow - Suffolk.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright ( see - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk )

Offline mantaray

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: BARKERS OF NORWICH
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 05 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosemary,
I would try and find the marriage of Samuel Barker to Ann ( Suffling) you say about 1846/7,as this would give Samuel fathers name,do you know where they where married,If so I could lookup the parish records for you .or you could  search the 1831 BMD and get a ref Norfolk is 4b,then it will give a page ref ,you can senf off for a cert cost £7

Regards Ray
Norwich. Cooke,Cadywould.Suffolk. Nobles.Wiltshire Merritt/Merrett
Census information is Crown copyright From www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosemary*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 05 15:17 GMT (UK) »
 Hello Ray,
Thank you so much for replying and giving me your time, but I don't think I expained myself clearly - What I am trying to find is the marriage of Samuel Barker (1784 Norwich) to Ann (1790), who maybe Suffling. If their son Jonathan was born in 1824 then Samuel and Ann probably married around 1810 - if they married at about 20 years old, which does make Ann rather old to give birth to another child, although not unusual.
All I have, up to this point, is Jonathan (1824) and Sarah's (1825) marriage certificate - ( in 1847 at St. Swithins, Norwich), which states that Jonathan's father was Samuel Barker, Norwich , occupation - Weaver. Sarah's father was Robert Woodgate, Norwich, occupation - Shoemaker.
Writing this out makes me realize that I should first find Jonathans birth and not jump to to his fathers marriage.
As I don't live in the UK, everything is being researched online, and it does become complicated without the parish records. ( in my dreams the Norwich Forum is calling "come to me I have all the answers"!!!!).

Regards  Rosemary

Osmond - Somerset/Dorset. Wheeler - Berkshire/Hampshire. Benham - Berkshire. Barker - Norfolk. Metcalf - Norfolk. Cordwell - Norfolk. Prentice - Suffolk. Farrow - Suffolk.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright ( see - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk )

Offline mantaray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 November 05 19:27 GMT (UK) »
HI, Rosemary,.I have looked on my Cd for Norfolk Marriages 1801-1837
Samuel Barker Married Anne Suffield
25th Nov 1807 Parish Heigham
I wonder if this is the one??.I live only a few mins from the Records office and visit it at least once a week ,so could look it up to double check it.
Also it would be worth while Looking up the birth of Jonathon Barker B 1824 as this would give fathers * mothers name and sometimes her maiden name if you are lucky.But you need to know what parish to look at

Regards Ray

Offline mantaray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 November 05 08:16 GMT (UK) »
!841 census
Hi Rosemary have looked at the 41 census for Timberhill St area only found
ref Ho/107/785/5 page 4
Robert Barker age 40 Plumber
Mary  age 49
Elizabeth age 13
Robert age 8
Agnes age 3 all born in Norfolk

page 6
Samuel Barker age 50 Dyer( weaver trade )
Ann williams age 29( maybe daur in law )??
all born in Norfolk
age dates on the 41 are rounded up/down 5 years
Regards
Ray

Offline Rosemary*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ray
Thank you for the 1841 lookup - it seems to be the correct Samuel and also the Robert Barker could be his brother - the name Robert was repeated in the family.
I am checking out Jonathan's birth/baptism on line - so far no luck.
Can I help you with anything ??

Regards Rosemary

Offline mantaray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks OK if you need a look up at the Norfolk RO.let me know I am there once or twice a week
Regards Ray

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 November 05 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rosemary;
I wonder if you have come across any Barker -Wright, My wright family married into the Barker family and later some children were then Barker Wright, mostly from Attleborough area,

If not sorry for the interuption..

regards............
Researching My Family in Norfolk.
Barker-Barnard-Brooks-Bush.
Eagling-Fincham-Goddard-Gooch.
Hammond-Johnson-Long.
Musk-Mickleborough/Mickleburgh.
Oakley- Parker-Potter-Smith-Wright...

Offline Rosemary*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Blue Spirit,
At this moment I have no Barker-Wright - not yet - but if one turns up I will mail you immediately.
Family history states that my Grandparents Jonathan Barker - born 1849 Norwich, who married Amelia Metcalf Cordwell - born 1852 Norwich. - produced 22 children, now, I have only found 16 so far. They moved to Wakefield for some years -" looking for a better life" during the Industrial Revolution and then returned to Norwich because Amelia "could not get used to the water there and did not feel well", how many babies died at birth, is still yet to be discovered. So, of the 16 who reached adulthood - there could be a Wright amongst them. Going back to the Gxxx parents - so far it seems that they are all very large families and concentrated in Norwich.
I am trying to see how far back I can go and then spread out.
Can you imagine being pregnant 22 times - the mind boggles !!!! - even 16 times and no washing machine!

Regards Rosemary