Author Topic: Marriage Certificate 1867 by Certificate?  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Patk

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Certificate 1867 by Certificate?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 September 04 03:20 BST (UK) »
Dear Dinkey
1,Genuki, 2,Lancashire, 2,Church Records, 3,Hugh Wallis's List of IGI Batch Numbers.4, Lancashire, are split alphabetically, for example for Spotlands choose 'S'
You may have to look at surrounding churches in the Rochdale area too for likely names.

I have found it it very difficult to research in that area, and at the moment it is on the back burner. I will probably look later at the Lancashire Genealogy Society, as well the Lancashire Records to see what they have.
Also the LDS to see what census they have, if you are close to one of their Records Centre's that would probably  be your best next move. To find out if they have, say the 1841 census, for Spotland, try doing a search on their site. As they only married in 1829 you should have no problem finding them if the LDS has that census,and of course assuming they are still in the same area in 1841.

A search first using Hugh Wallis's site would help you map out the occurence of your family name, as families did not move around too much in the 1820's and you may get a pattern of them being in one area, using  births and marriages. Record what you find of the same name, because sometimes this later fits into a particular family.It might seem you are recording a jumble of names, but if you do find your family some of these might later fit in, as brothers, sisters etc, then you do not have to backtrack.

Hope this helps you,
Patk

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bouncing Emails

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 September 04 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

Thank you for your very helpful and indepth reply.

I have found the family on the 1841 census in Bury. Their first child Henry was born there in 1830. They obviously moved from Spotland parish into Bury very soon after their marriage in 1829.

Contrary to what you said this family does seem to have moved a lot. They left Bury and turn up in the 1851 census in Ashton-Under-Lyne. I have yet to find them in 1861. They had moved from their 1851 address. Keeping track of them is a nightmare.

The next puzzle is, did Joseph's parents (who ever they are) stay in Butterworth where according to the 1851 census for AUL, Joseph was born c1812. Were they in Spotland where Joseph was residing at time of his marriage or did they also move to Bury when Joseph & Alice moved there.. Of course, prior to his marriage, Joseph could have already left the family home and was on his own in Spotland. There are so many questions aren't there.

Following your tips , I checked out the IGI batch numbers. The Travis name was very prolific in these areas and as you can tell from my posting, there are a number of options as to where Joseph's parents could be. My listing of families could fill an exercise book. My husband will be pleased, it will keep me quiet for hours.

Thanks again for your help and guidance, it is much appreciated.

dinkey

TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline Patk

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 October 04 00:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Dinkey

That is great news, do not forget the female line of Travis' brides as sometimes the husband married in the bride's parish. That note book will be very useful I am sure.

Kind regards and best wishes for your research. :)

Patk
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bouncing Emails