Author Topic: Looking for members of the Still family  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Lofty27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for members of the Still family
« on: Thursday 10 November 05 22:21 GMT (UK) »
I am tracing the Still family who lived in Aberdeen and Banffshire. Along with several other people have got back as far as James Still (c.18 Dec 1752 in New Machar, Aberdeen). He married Margaret Ellis (b. 15 May 1757 in Drumblade, Aberdeenshire).

I have created a website www.stillfamilytree.co.uk and if you feel you may be related or have information please get in touch with me.

Lofty
Still in Banff, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Turriff
Tindale/Tindle/Tindall from Durham & Lancashire
Home, Torry.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for members of the Still family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lofty,

As you know I have Still lineage also, so great site! (I've got copies of pages from an 1887 Scottish poet book that mentions Peter Still Snr & Jnr which I'll send you when I manage to scan them. They are not in my tree but some other person with Still may have them and get in touch with you)

Anyway it's just a question about a date mentioned in your post. Is the date after James his birth and how did you get that?

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Lofty27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 05 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grothenwell

James Still's christening date was from Scots Origins and is also on IGI. His father is probably John Still but not confirmed this yet.

Regards
Lofty
Still in Banff, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Turriff
Tindale/Tindle/Tindall from Durham & Lancashire
Home, Torry.

Offline jstill

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 October 10 01:19 BST (UK) »
I am also looking for some information on the Still Family. I have a John Still in South Carolina USA and I was needing ship logs of voyages from Scotland or Northern Ireland in 1763 the ship was the falls.
Still

Offline fsmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 November 10 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lofty,

I have been looking into the Still family for a friend.  Her grandparents were James Still and Helen Davidson who married in Huntly in 1920. His father was Archibald Young Rose Still b. 1840.  I don't know if these Stills are related to yours.  I was unable to access your link.

Best Regards
Fiona

Offline caroline77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Fiona,

I have a fair bit of information on the Still family. Your friend's Archibald Young Rose Still was my GGGG grandfathers brother. They were the sons of Robert Still and Margaret Sim. I have traced my lot back to 1752 in Drumblade, Huntly and seem to have hit a brick wall.

If I can help at all don't hesitate to get in touch.

Caroline
Still Drumblade, Huntly, Banff
McWillie

Offline fsmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 November 10 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for replying.  I have James Still and Margaret Ellis as parents. Would you like to contact me at fsmchardy at btinternet.com (replacing at in the usual way) so that we can share information.  I'm sure my friend would be keen to learn more.

Thanks,

Fiona