Author Topic: Labelling photographs  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Labelling photographs
« on: Friday 11 November 05 02:01 GMT (UK) »
I acquired a bunch of old family photographs (originals) from a distant cousin and have since made several copies (at the local digital photograph store) so that each branch of my mother's family can receive a copy.  I plan to place them in photo albums and present them as christmas presents to each of my aunts.

I will be placing a notation beside each photograph in the album itself, but think that it would be wise to also annotate each photograph on its back in case it is removed from the album in the future. 

My question is:  what is the best way to label a photograph?  What details should I include?  Should I use pen (which will be very tedious - one photos I've had 15 copies made!) or can I print the description on computer labels and place the labels on the backs of the photographs.  I read once that the resins in sticky tape and labels can leach through over time and damage the photogrpahs.  Should I worry about this, as I will also be including a CD of the scanned photographs.

Cheers
Leonie
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline Man of Kent

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Labelling photographs
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 November 05 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Try this link,
http://dmoz.org/Society/Genealogy/Software/

Everyone is differant and you are limited by your own imagination.
Ok you are restricted to a point because of space, but an index on the first page, numbered.
An on the page itself maybe name, date, and relationship.

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 November 05 05:15 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking something like:

Joseph Bloogs 1826-1872 and Anne Twiggs 1828-1880
Wedding photograph
Cr. 1848

or

Bloogs Family (left to right)
Top row:  Brian (1849), Henry (1852), Timothy (1862), Henry Twiggs (1826-1902)
Middlerow:  John (1854), Joseph (1826), Lydia (1858)
Bottom row:  Anne (1828), Annie Jane Twiggs (1800-1878),  Emily (1868)
Cr. 1869

My main concern is how to label the physical photographs themselves.  Obviously it would be easier to print this type of information onto a label and then place that on the back of the photograph.  Is there any problem with placing labels on the backs of photographs?

Leonie
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 November 05 05:29 GMT (UK) »
This sounds like something that PrueM will have an answer to.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 November 05 05:49 GMT (UK) »
     My own rule is never to write or stick anything onto an original photo', but to write in a soft graphite pencil on the back of a copy so that the information can be reconcilled with the picture.
     However I would as deadants suggests be interested in what Prue has to say.
                                       Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Ros Fornaro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 November 05 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Only use pencil as ink will eventurally eat into the photo.  On the shiny more recent photos I write in pencil onto a label and then attach.  Photo albums should have acid free paper.

Ros
Bell Coatbridge Sct
Cassels Dunbarton Lnk Sti Sct
Heggie Lnk Sct
Lusty Gls Eng Lnk Sct
McLuckie Stirling Sct
Moss Leek Sts Eng Vic Aust
Pride Gls Eng Geelong Vic Aust

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk