Author Topic: 1841 Lookup for Tinwald. Surname Richardson  (Read 5021 times)

Offline sinned

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 Lookup for Tinwald. Surname Richardson
« on: Friday 11 November 05 05:15 GMT (UK) »

Hello. I am looking for the 1841 census information on a David Richardson. David would have been 17. David's parentage, shown only on his 1887 death record lists only his father, Archibald.

Thank you.   

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Lookup for Tinwald. Surname Richardson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 November 05 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello sinned (dennis?),

The 1841 census for Tinwald is online at FreeCEN at:
http://www.freecen.rootsweb.com
I cannot find any matches for Archibald or David in Tinwald.

Have you seen the following entry in the IGI at:
http://www.familysearch.org
It is not an extracted entry but a submission by a member of the Latter Day Saints (there are quite a number of LDS submissions for RICHARDSON in the area).  It lists:
David RICHARDSON, born 30 Dec 1823, parents Archibald RICHARDSON and Jane IRVINE, Lochmaben Dumfries.
It also lists David's spouse as Margaret W GRAHAM with wedding date of 15 Oct 1854.

Is this your David?  There are extracted entries for the marriage (probably banns being called in both the bride's and the groom's parish) of David RICHARDSON and Margaret Wilson GRAHAM on 8 Oct 1854 in Lochmaben and Dryfesdale.  I also note that there are several children to David and Margaret listed in the IGI.  There are also children in the area, starting in the 1840s, to a David RICHARDSON and a Janet GRAHAM.

I see from the Dumfriesshire Parish Map on Genuki at:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/DFS/parish_map.html
that Lochmaben and Tinwald were adjacent parishes (and Dryfesdale was adjacent to Lochmaben).

Unfortunately the relevant IGI christening batches for Lochmaben and Tinwald (C118492, C119402, C118404) are among those infuriating batches where (for no reason that anyone has been able to discover) only the females have been extracted into the online IGI; the males would, of course, be on the relevant film which can be ordered into your nearest LDS Family History centre - locations of the centres can be accessed on the FamilySearch site mentioned above.

Regards,

JAP

Offline sinned

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 November 05 03:43 GMT (UK) »

Hello JAP,

I am quite sure that the David I am looking for married Janet Graham, as I can document that far back. A check with Dumfries turns up no record of marriage between Archibald Richardson & Jane Irvine; nor any records of marriage of David to Margaret or Janet Graham. I do know that my Grampa's GPs were David Richardson & Janet Graham., as per his mom's ( Annie Richardson ) records.

sinned aka dennis ( which was already taken )  :-[

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 November 05 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello again sinned,

Sorry about the guess at 'dennis' - but 'sinned' seemed such an unusual posting name until I relaized that it spelled 'dennis' backwards ;)

Is there any possibility that David married Janet, she passed away, and then he married Margaret?

It might help us to help you if you provide some more details?
Sometimes having all the information just triggers something useful in someone's mind.

For instance, where did David die and are David's occupation, the name(s) of his wife(or wives)/widow, and his father's occupation shown on his 1887 death certificate - and who was the informant?  Do you have David in the 1861, 1871 and 1881 Scotland censuses?  What is his age, occupation and birthplace in each and who is with him?

Incidentally, you say that a 'check with Dumfries' (what was that?) turned up no record of a marriage of a David RICHARDSON to a Margaret GRAHAM.
But there definitely are extracted records of such a marriage in the online IGI so these must appear in the parish register (though, of course, this marriage may well have nothing to do with your David).
*David RICHARDSON and Margaret Wilson GRAHAM, 8 Oct 1854, Lochmaben Dumfries Scotland; M118404 FHL Film #1067968
*David RICHARDSON and Margaret Wilson GRAHAM, 8 Oct 1854, Dryfesdale Dumfries Scotland; M118204 FHL Film #1067958
And there are extracted entries of children to a David RICHARDSON and a Margaret GRAHAM in Lochmaben, all C118401 and taken from the Statutory Register:
*Margaret Mitchell RICHARDSON, b 11 Feb 1855
*Thomas RICHARDSON, b 10 Jun 1856
*John James RICHARDSON, b 18 Nov 1858
*Samuel RICHARDSON, b 20 Feb 1865.
Finding this family in (say) 1861 on SP could help rule them out if that David is too young and/or has the wrong occupation and/or has the wrong birthplace.

The only extracted records in the online IGI for children of a David RICHARDSON and a Janet GRAHAM in Dumfries are:
*Jane Graham Grieve RICHARDSON, bap 12 May 1844, Lochmaben
*Isabella RICHARDSON, bap 26 Dec 1845, Torthorwald

I guess you could order in, to your nearest LDS FHC, the parish films for Tinwald and Lochmaben and trawl through them to see whether you can find David's birth/baptism.  Or perhaps wait until more of the Dumfries 1841 comes online at FreeCEN (it seems to be progressing well).

Good luck,

JAP  

Offline sinned

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 November 05 05:42 GMT (UK) »

Hello JAP:

I actually count 11 children attributed to David & Janet, supposedly married in Tinwald on Dec. 8th, 1843 according to BC for William Richardson b1862 Glasgow, Lanarkshire.

My Dumfries enquiry had been a stab at records relating to David & Janet's marriage ( Dec. 8th, 1843 in Tinwald ) as well as trying to get info on David's parents, only Archibald is listed.

The 11 children were not all born in Dumfrieshire.

sinned

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 November 05 06:17 GMT (UK) »
sinned,

Yes of course I saw all the other extracted IGI records for children of a David RICHARDSON and a Janet GRAHAM not in Dumfries - which is why I specifically stated above that I was only listing children born in Dumfries.

Your latest information points up that it is in the interests of both the person submitting a query, and the RootsChatters who are trying to assist, for all relevant information to be summarized and provided ...

The Hugh Wallis site at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm
indicates that marriages from Tinwald in the online IGI start only from 1855.  This suggests that it would be worth getting the Tinwald parish register film covering earlier years into your nearest LDS FHC.

I guess that David, aged ca 17, could have been working almost anywhere at the time of the 1841 census.

Good luck for your future research,

JAP

Offline sinned

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 November 05 06:33 GMT (UK) »

Thank you JAP  8)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 January 07 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dennis,

Have you got any further with David?

There is an Archibald bn 1803 living with his missus Isabella in Lochmaben (which neighbours Tinwald).

No David there though ???

If you want detail it's on Freecen or I can transcribe.

There are quite a few possibilities for David.

All the best,
Pam
 :)

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!