Author Topic: Williams in North Wales or Derbyshire  (Read 2277 times)

Offline BlueBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Williams in North Wales or Derbyshire
« on: Tuesday 31 August 04 12:38 BST (UK) »
I have acquired the marriage certificate for my GGG Grandparents, William Williams and Jane Hughes, also the birth certificate for their first born child, both occurring in Australia in 1870 and 1871 respectively.

On the marriage certificate, they list the place of birth for themselves as William in Derbyshire, Jane in North Wales.

On the birth certificate the following year, they list their birthplaces as William and Jane both in North Wales.

This may seem like a really obvious or silly question, but  direction would you first take in determining where the husband, William Williams was actually born?  Being that it is such a common name.

Rather inconsiderate of them not to think of their ancestors 135 years down the track trying to research them, when listing such important details!!
Researching: Williams, Hughes, Stringer, Savill, Marr

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Williams in North Wales or Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Blue Bell,

could it be that what you read as Derbyshire is actually Denbighshire (spelt perhaps with a y instead of igh) ?

That would put it in North Wales.

D ap D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline BlueBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Williams in North Wales or Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 August 04 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, I never would have thought of that.  It would seem to say Derbyshire, but the entry is of course handwritten by the registrar with the parties then only adding their signatures, so the registrars interpretation of what William Williams said could very well have been Derbyshire as they sound similar.

:)

Researching: Williams, Hughes, Stringer, Savill, Marr