Author Topic: Can anyone make out this writing....  (Read 1470 times)

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Can anyone make out this writing....
« on: Friday 11 November 05 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help please.  I can't make out the occupation of Janet Smith (2nd from bottom of the page).  Also, is her son William?

Her maiden name was Cadenhead and I am trying to find anyone with connections to the Smith/Cadenhead family from Aberdeen.

Thanks  :)
Lindsay
Gallagher/Maloney/Sweeney/Henne - Donegal
Duncan/McCormack/Ogg/Pitkethly/Williamson/Ireland/Leuchars - Angus
Smith/Innes/Coull/McRobb/McDonald/Dalgety/Cadenhead/Davidson/Mathieson/Bonner/Mackie/Saunders/Russel/Rait/Shand/Scott/Jaffrey/Leslie/Black/Skene/Shewan - Aberdeen(shire)
Clark/Duncan/Ferrier/Cooper/Martin - Angus & Kincardine

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone make out this writing....
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 November 05 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Her occupation is Fund Holder (Widow) which means she is living off funds!   Presumably her husband left her quite well off.  Not sure about William.  Could it be Mich?  Can you find them on another census to check it?
Andrea

Offline greenhorn

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 November 05 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi LindsayG,
My guess for William would be baker then app in brackets. (app)  for apprentice.
John.

Offline g a r

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 November 05 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Could Janet's son be Thomas?

Capital T then h o and a superscripted s?

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your replies - Gar - I am really hoping that Janets son is Thomas - if this is the case then Scotlandspeople have indexed him wrongly - I will have to ask them to confirm.....

Thomas would make most sense - and being a baker would make even more sense and knock down another of my walls.

As for Janet being a fund holder - that's nice to know that she wasn't too poor - I just want to know where all the money went cause none came my way!!   ;)

Thanks again everyone
Lindsay

Smith/Innes/Coull/McRobb/McDonald/Dalgety/Cadenhead/Davidson/Mathieson/Bonner/Mackie/Saunders/Russel/Rait/Shand/Scott/Jaffrey/Leslie/Black/Skene/Shewan - Aberdeen(shire)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindsay,

I'd agree with all that's been said including Fund Holder, and Thos (with a superscript 's').

But it really is a very poor copy so if I were you I'd be submitting a Contact Form to SP.  In the normal course of events, GROS will then post out a clear paper copy.  And, if you then decide that Thos. is correct, you can ask them to correct the index - with a surname like SMITH the last thing other customers want are indexing errors!

Regards,

JAP

Offline LindsayG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JAP - tell me about it - Smith isn't the easiest name to research at the best of times - I'll contact SP and see how I get on - already I've checked every other Thomas Smith in the area at the time and my this one didn't come up - just lucky that he is staying with his mother and I've figured it from there (with help from lovely Roots Chat of course) - wonder what SP have him indexed as!

Thanks again,
Lindsay

PS - Afraid the baking skills didn't reach this far down the line  ;)