Author Topic: Longsleddale families  (Read 14558 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Longsleddale families
« on: Friday 11 November 05 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am researching families from Longsleddale and wondered if there is anyone out there doing the same.

The names are: Kellet/ Kellett, Kitchen/ Kitchin, Todhunter, Wilson.

John Kellet married Abigail Todhunter in 1755 in Longsleddale. I have found a baptism record for John Kellet, son of John Kellet and Mary, in Selside, 1723.

I can't find any record of Abigail Todhunter's birth so if anyone can help on that, I'd be very grateful.

Also would appreciate anything on any of the above names.

Regards,

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Longsleddale families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 September 08 02:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I don't know if you're still doing your research, but I've recently started myself and only just discovered this forum
I have a link in with Kellet / Kelletts and Kitchens from Longsleddale and would be happy to share any information I have - though I suspect it may not be as extensive as yours

regards
Cajondy
Jones - Llangernieuw,llanynys, llanrhaiadr, bangor
Foulkes - Nantglyn, Llanrhaiadr
Williams - Anglesey, Bangor
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Eames - Poss Ireland, Pwllheli, Bangor
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 September 08 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This post was made when I was researching a friend's family as a surprise 60th birthday present, some time ago. I haven't done anything more on the family recently but if you would like to tell me what you have, I will dig out my information and we can see where your family and my friend's meet up.
It might take me a while to find my information!
Cheers,

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 September 08 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there
thanks for the reply

I have my Kellett family going bacxk to early 1700s to Thomas Kellett who married Agnes Airey (both of Longsleddale) - born 1738
Their son William also seems to have married an Agnes (though not sure of maiden name) - nor do I ahve any siblings for William
Their son William (c1756) married and Ann Wilson (c1769) - again, I have no other siblings for William
Their daughter Agnes married Thomas Kitchen (born born c 1807)
Their daughter Elizabeth (c1829) married John Newton (c1818)
Their daughter Agnes (c 1850) married John Dobson (c 1843)
Their daughter Isabel (c1878) married William Bateman (c1882) - and they are my Maternal Grt grandparents

I have anohter line of Kelletts but they are from Crosthwaite - I guess there will be a connection somewhere

I look forwards to receiving any informtion you may have

Cajondy

Hussey Burgh - unknown
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 September 08 11:05 BST (UK) »
Ok, We are in agreement for quite a lot of this but there is a discrepancy at one stage.

Let's start with Agnes Kellett, married to Thomas Kitchen. She lived in either Kilnstones or Yewbarrow Hall, Longsleddale. The couple had at least seven offspring, all daughters but I have no record of Elizabeth. She must have been their eldest child, the eariest I have is Ann, born 1831. Can you tell me more?
Agnes died Oct 1894. But in 1891, she was at Barkbooth, Crosthwaite, so I think that confirms your idea of a link there. Do you know the area, or even live here? Both of those houses are still in Longsleddale and very lovely too.

Agnes's parents: William Kellett and Ann Wilson, married 20/2/1792, Longsleddale. They had nine children, Abigail, Thomas, Isabella, Ann, John, Richard, Elizabeth, Agnes and Frances. William died 1843, Ann in 1861, both in Longsleddale.

Here is where we differ:

I have William's parents as John Kellet and Abigail Todhunter, married 16/12/1755, Longsleddale, John was born around 1723 in Selside, Westmorland. Their offspring included: William, Thomas, Joseph and David. All born Longsleddale

John's parents were: John Kellet , born c1700 and Mary (?). They had at least three children, John, Thomas and William.

So you can see that we have different information on this family. I don't have a note of my sources on my lap-top so will have to hunt them out but a great deal of my research was done in the Westmorland Records Offices so I will have checked pretty thoroughly. Can you tell me where your information came from? If I am wrong, I have to change my friend's tree, double quick!

Cheers,

Jen

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 September 08 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen
not sure what happened there, I was mid flow with an email when the system told me the website was too busy and I seem to have lost the entire message

To confirm
I have marriage certificate for Elizabeth Kitchen and John Newton 10/12/1849 - Elizabeth was living at Longsleddale at the time and it shows her father as being Thomas - her witness was her sister Agnes. By 1861 she was living at Kilnstone with her husband and 5 of her children
I have 9 children in total for Thomas and Agnes - Ann being the eldest - born c 1827, then Elizabeth c1829, William c1832, Agnes c1834, Jane c1836, Isabella c1839, Mary c1842, Sarah c1847, Margaret c1850. Agnes and Thomas were living at Yewbarrow Hall in 1861 (with some of their children who hadn't already fled the nest) and Thomas was also living there in 1871 census

In 1861 census Elizabeth Kitchen was living  at Kilnstone - by this time she was married to John Newton

I have 10 children for Agnes and THomas - they are: Abigail c1792, Thomas c1794, Isabella c 1796, Ann c1797, John c1799, Richard c 1801, Elizabeth c1802, Agnes c1807, FRances (or Fanny) c1811 & John c1818 (I can only assume the earlier John may have passed away early?
William (husband of Agnes) was in 1841 census with wife Ann and several of their children @ YEwbarrow hall - and he later died @ YEwbarrow hall in 1843. Wife Ann remained at Yewbarrow with her daughter Agnes and family up till 1861 census

William Kellet b1738 - I have his date of baptism as being 19/11/1738 and he died in Murthwaite in 1823 - death details confirmed in Longsleddale Church burial book (confirmed by current owner of YEwbarrow Hall) and baptism date from a member of the Kellett family. The same source confirmed Agnes' place and year of death as being 1822 also in Murthwaite.

whilst I've not seen the burial book, etc I have accepted the information provided to me (??)

hope this assists
regards
Anne

Hussey Burgh - unknown
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry I didn't reply last night, I was completely locked out of Rootschat all evening. We seem to agree om most things until we get back to William Kellet's parents. I will double check my information and if I get chance, pop into the Records office again.

We went up to Yewbarrow Hall to take photos ( my partner knows the owner so we were able to wander over his land without being done for trespass!). If I can find them, would you like copies or do you have some already?

I am away workinh until Friday so nothing will happen before then!

Cheers,

Jen

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen
yes please that would be lovely - shall I give you my email address?
regards
Cajondy
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am unexpectedly at home again - slight crisis with our vehicle. but it means that I might be able to get into Kendal Records Office this week to have another look at the baptism and marriage registers. Not promising, but if I can, I will.

I'll also see if I can find the photos to send you - I can do it on here or you can PM me with your email address.

Jen

PS - One of my daughter's best friends, at school, was a Bateman, from Kendal - I wonder if she was one of yours!