Author Topic: Longsleddale families  (Read 14561 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Longsleddale families
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 February 10 18:59 GMT (UK) »
It isn't a good idea to have your email address on a public post. Best to send that sort of information by a personal message.  :)

This is what I have from the Records Office in Kendal. It is well worth a visit if you have time.    I hope it is helpful and that you can decipher my method of note taking. Yewbarrow Hall and Kilnstones are both still there, so if you find you have a link to this family, you can have a look at them as well when you come up.                                   

Kellett Family:

i)  John Kellet, born circa 1700. John’s wife was Mary ( surname unknown). They had at least three children, John (circa1723, Selside), Thomas and William ( dates unknown). No more details known about John or his family.

ii)  John Kellet, born circa 1723, Selside. John married Abigail Todhunter on 16th December 1755, in Longsleddale. Their offspring included:- William ( Circa 1760 Longsleddale), Thomas ( bapt 1760, Longsleddale), David ( 1768, Longsleddale) and Joseph ( 1762, Longsleddale)

iii) William Kellet  circa 1760, Longsleddale. William married Ann Wilson ( no details known about her parents), on 20th February, 1792, in Longsleddale. From 1829 to 1841 he can be found at Yewbarrow, or Ubarrow, Hall in Longsleddale, where he was a farmer. William and Ann had nine children:- Abigail (1793, LS) Thomas (1794, LS), Isabella ( 1796, LS), Ann ( 1797, LS), John (1799, LS), Richard (1801, LS), Elizabeth ( 1802, LS), Agnes,( 30/8/1806, Longsleddale) and Frances (1811, LS). William died in 1843 and was buried in Longsleddale on 2nd July 1843. His wife,  Ann, was still at Yewbarrow Hall in 1851, where she was described as a farmer of 314 acres.  She died at Yewbarrow Hall in 1861.

Agnes Kellet,  1806, Longsleddale: She spent most of her life at either Kilnstones or Yewbarrow Hall, Longsleddale. The only census on which she was somewhere else was 1891 when she was at Bark Booth, Crosthwaite.  She married Thomas Kitchen on 11th November 1828 and died in October 1894.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline guyryerson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 February 10 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all that info - oops don't know how to do personal message - ..... Thomas had a son John so makes sense these names keep coming up

thanks

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 February 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Can I suggest that you go back to the post with your email address on it, click on the 'Modify' button then remove it from the post.

To do a personal message, you click on the name of the person to whom you want to send the message - on the top left corner of their posts. This will take you to their profile. At the bottom of the page is a link for sending a PM. From there it is all easy.

Cheers,

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline pp2020

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 December 10 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've just come across this post - my wife is also decended from William Kellet & Ann Wilson. A couple of bits of info I can add:

Thomas Kellett, soldier age 35, married Sophia Patient on 30 Nov 1858 at Southwark and his father is shown as Thomas Kellett, farmer. I had assumed he was Thomas Kellet son of Thomas & Isabella baptised at Longsleddale on 9 Dec 1821 (IGI) - and that Thomas is the son of William Kellet & Ann Wilson.  As his age varies a bit in the censuses I hadn't worried about it being a year out on the marriage record, but I may be wrong.

On the original post, I've got a tentative baptism from IGI for Abigail Todhunter at Threlkeld Cumberland on 17 Jan 1723 daughter of Dav Todhunter. Parents would be David Todhunter & Elisabeth Robinson married at Threlkeld 20 Oct 1715.  Hard to prove, but Abigail did name one of her children David, also there is a David Todhunter buried at Longsleddale in 1807 - possibly Abigail's brother (baptised at Threlkeld 22 Apr 1728).

Paul.