Author Topic: Help! Where is/was Thorp  (Read 3432 times)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Where is/was Thorp
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 15:06 BST (UK) »

Susan,

As you say censuses 1851, 61 and 1871 have William as born Thorp/e.
 1881 census has him as just born Tudhoe, where he was living in all censuses from 1841 (304/19 3-1) to 1881. So in at least for 40 yrs of his life he did not move from Tudhoe- where he was born  ( according to 1881 census)

From the Enumerator's discription of the Enumeration District in the 1841, the part of Tudhoe he lived in/at, lay within the Parish of Whitworth ( other parts of Tudhoe lay within the Parish of Brancepeth)

So although I cannot find a Thorp/e in the area of Tudhoe on old maps/documents, I think Thorp/e was in Tudhoe vicinity.

Trivia Angle.   The word " thorp" or "thorpe" is Old English for " small village"
 In the database of places covered by Registration Districts from 1837, there were over 50 places in England called Thorp or Thorpe with or without suffixes.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Where is/was Thorp
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark and Michael,
Thanks for your comments.  I don't know if you noticed but this thread was from 2006 so I have made some progress on this family.  William was baptised in Chester le Street but I think it is possible that he was born in Thorpe (Thewles) near Stockton as this is where his father was from (his mother was from Chester le Street).  His parents were married in Norton and his younger brother born two years later was born and baptised in 'Grindon by Stockton'.  So I think it likely that the family were living in or around Thorpe but Mary went home to her mother to have her first child.  That's my theory so far anyway  :)
Thanks again for your comments
Susan
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Harrison - Northumberland
Rowland, Nicholson, Sneaton - Whitby
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"