Poll

Have you found anyone famous in your family tree?

Yes
127 (39.7%)
No
106 (33.1%)
Not yet
87 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author Topic: Found Anyone Famous  (Read 90856 times)

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Found Anyone Famous
« Reply #270 on: Friday 04 September 20 06:51 BST (UK) »
Albert isn't famous, it's his grandson who is.

None of mine are Quaker Brigid. Either members of the great hall or secular society (think John coltman, the Gimson family, Michael Wright). I'll have a look at the stoneygate address's when I get home.

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: Friday 04 September 20 07:53 BST (UK) »
Still looking...

There is always hope !

But over the thousands of generations way back, now lost in the mists of time,
       our family
   could have had famous people.
I would like to think someone in the Prussian royalty...vain hope!
 my mother's nickname for me was " Lady Jane Grey "
Now that is certainly not a possibility !

Turramurra

HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: Friday 04 September 20 12:28 BST (UK) »
Mimble - I've just been consulting my copy of "England's Black Tribunal" (6th edition, 1737) and found the transcript of the warrant at pages 45 - 6.

It reads as follows:

At the High Court of Justice for the Trying and Judging of Charles Stewart, King of England, January 29. 1648.

Whereas Charles Stuart, King of England, is, and standeth Convicted, Attainted and Condemned of High Treason, and other High Crimes, and Sentence upon Saturday last was pronounced against Him by this Court, to be put to Death by the severing of his Head from his Body; of which Sentence, Execution remains yet to be done: These are therefore to Will and Require you to see the said Sentence Executed in the open street before Whitehall, upon the Morrow, being the 30th day of this Instant Month of January, between the Hours of Ten in the Morning, and Five in the Afternoon of the same Day, with full Effect: and for so doing, this shall be your Warrant. And these are to require all Officers and Soldiers, and other the good People of this Nation of England, to be assisting unto you in this Service.

Given under our Hands and Seals.

To Col. Francis Hacker, Col. Hunks, and Lieutenant Col. Phray, and to every of them:

Sealed and subscribed by

J. Bradshaw, T. Grey, O. Cromwell, Ed. Whaley, M. Livesey, J. Okey, J. Danvers, R. Bourchier, H. Ireton, T. Maleverer, [and 49 other regicides]

To find your ancestor named in one of the most notorious documents in England's entire history, nay, to have it actually ADDRESSED to him and two others ... well ... that's quite something!!

Yes thanks that is amazing isn't it? I went to see Col Hunks' great uncle's memorial at Broadwell St Paul's. It had been attacked and defaced because he was the great uncle of the 'Regicide'.
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

guest189040

« Reply #273 on: Friday 04 September 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
My Great Great Aunt was Mary Priestley.

Great Aunt to John Boynton Priestley the famous author of many books including An Inspector Calls.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: Friday 04 September 20 21:35 BST (UK) »
Well not really famous but he was Mayor of Bermondsey and big in trade unions apparently

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: Friday 04 September 20 22:31 BST (UK) »

Possibly Eleanor of Aquitaine, and the Plantagenet's through my Wilkinson's, but as a person of Scots descent being related to Edward I, is not a good thing, he was known as the "hammer of the Scots"  this is according to 'Family Search'

Andi
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: Friday 04 September 20 22:34 BST (UK) »
But I have confirmed my GGrandfather Taylor Swainson the engineer and one of the pioneers of the steam engine
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

guest189040

« Reply #277 on: Saturday 05 September 20 01:10 BST (UK) »

Possibly Eleanor of Aquitaine, and the Plantagenet's through my Wilkinson's, but as a person of Scots descent being related to Edward I, is not a good thing, he was known as the "hammer of the Scots"  this is according to 'Family Search'

Andi

But that means you also have Matilda of Scotland and her Father King Malcolm III in your line.

It also means that we are distant Cousins.

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: Saturday 05 September 20 02:32 BST (UK) »

Andi

But that means you also have Matilda of Scotland and her Father King Malcolm III in your line.

It also means that we are distant Cousins.

Thats true but Edward the first  :-[  and a connection with William the Conqueror etc

Theres just one Wilkinson I need to check out but it looks right
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty