Poll

Have you found anyone famous in your family tree?

Yes
127 (39.7%)
No
106 (33.1%)
Not yet
87 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author Topic: Found Anyone Famous  (Read 90850 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Found Anyone Famous
« Reply #243 on: Thursday 10 July 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
   Since I last visited this discussion one remarkable find has emerged.    It is so far back though that one can never know for certain whether there was ever any blood connection.

My great grandfather was James Currie Draffan who was born in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire.   Apparently the grandmother of Sir William Wallace was an Alicia Draffan also born in Lesmahagow but in 1230, though some say that she was Alicia De Salloch  heiress of Draffan.

One thing we always have to remember is that surnames were non existent a thousand years ago and many people took their name from the local village or town or their trade.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline khonalan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Thursday 10 July 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
looks like, Robert rhys = Margaret leigh, m, joyce culpepper, joyce = 2 Edmund howard, dau. Catherine, had something with henry 8.
baty  reece   sunderland co durham

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Thursday 19 December 19 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Stanley Spooner was the founder, creator and editor of Flight magazine, and also of one of the first Automobile Magazines in the world.
He was a half-brother of one of my 3x great grandad's.

Maybe not exactly famous, as such.
But he seems to have achieved quite a lot. I could not find a biography of him on Wikipedia.
So I decided to type his biography on there up myself. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Spooner

On my mother's side of the family:
Sir Edward Lake was a nephew of one of my 10x great grandma's Ursula Wardell/Wardall (1573 - 1630). Edward Lake's maternal grandfather Edawrd Wardall/dell my 11x great, was buried in Keelby, Lincolnshire, on the 8th of July 1619.
I have contributed a large amount to Sir Edward's biography on Wikipedia, from information I have found out through wills and other sources.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Edward_Lake,_1st_Baronet

There are also links to royalty via my mother's Cheshire ancestors.

:) ;)

Offline Gallicrow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Sunday 22 December 19 19:33 GMT (UK) »
This thread reminds me of a story I read in the science fiction comic 2000 AD back in the 1980s.

"Amalgamated Ancestors guarantee that they can find a famous ancestor for every citizen. They are so confident that they offer 1 billion megabucks to anyone who they can't find a famous ancestor for."

After a while a complete non-entity asks the company to find a famous ancestor for him. However Amalgamated Ancestors really struggle with this particular man. They go further and further back in time, but in every generation his ancestors are just just boring nobodies.

Eventually they go all the way back to the stone age and a caveman ancestor of the man picks up a sharp rock and it looks like he is going to invent the first weapon, but after a few moments he puts it down again. Then a different caveman picks up the rock and bashes the first one over the head with it and Amalgamated Ancestors breathe a huge sigh of relief - the man is a direct descendant of the first ever murder victim!
Eva family in Devon and Cornwall.
Bowdidge family in Devon and Dorset.

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Monday 30 December 19 18:18 GMT (UK) »
I am distantly related to John Winston Lennon.  My 3rd cousin, once removed, John Albert Dykins, married Julia Stanley (John's Mum) in 1944 and they had two daughters - John's half sisters.  My cousin died in 1966 (aged 46) - he was killed in a car crash at the bottom of Penny Lane.

...so far I haven't found anyone else!

Cheers - Merry Christmas / Happy Hanukkah / Happy New Year to you all.

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Monday 30 December 19 18:44 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother was Elizabeth Berry who married gt.grandad Thomas Hutton.
Elizabeth's brother James Berry and wife Charlotte and their large family migrated to Lawrence Massachusetts.
One of their many grand children Harold Berry was first of all married clandestinely to Tedi (Henrietta) Strashun, the daughter of Leon Strashun who studied Music with Tchaikovsky, and was at one time the Conductor of the New York Metropolitian.
However that marriage broke up after some 9 or 10 years, and Harold then married Jullian Crawford the abandoned mother of Terence STEVE MCQUEEN, who went on to become a big Movie Star.
Steve did tell the World that his Stepfather, Harold Berry had been abusive and was an alcoholic.
Having learned more from a grand-daughter of Tedi's by her second marriage, it appears to be unfortunately true.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Monday 30 December 19 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Patsy Kenist is a distant cousin of mine. We both descend from John and Sarah Sparks of Finchingfield.

I am a distant cousin of the Kray Twins. Ugh.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 03:14 GMT (UK) »
How I long to be related to anyone famous!!
so far no-one as emerged from the inky black memoirs or family histories of any ancestor.
But that does not stop me from searching..
Agricultural labourers seem to have been popular with early wool combers from Suffolk.

A Prussian gentleman came to our sunny shores with many skills as woodcarver and teacher.
Engineers and Ship's Captains from Essex England and Scotland.
A poor shoemaker from Lancashire and of course the usual convicts from London and Ireland.
Fame seems to have evaded us, but all had families and made good in the world.

Turramurra
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a few interesting connections, although no actual blood ties to anyone famous or illustrious (yet).
My maternal grandmother’s first cousin married a brother of bandleader Frank Chacksfield, who I understand was quite popular decades ago. 
My paternal grandfather’s first cousin went into service and became a valet/butler – in 1939 he is living at Windsor Castle (Norman Tower) in the employ of Clive Wigram (Baron), lieutenant-governor of the castle and Personal Secretary to the Sovereign 1931-36.  I’ve always wondered how Joseph Ford managed to get this job, but have found no resources to help.
My great-great-grandmother’s husband is living in Lambeth in 1851, listed as a potter’s lad, and I assume he worked at the Doulton factory, as in 1861 he is a groom in the household of Frederick Doulton in Camberwell, who later became an MP for that area.  Most of his career was spent as a coachman or carman, but I don’t know how long he stayed with the Doultons.
I have recently, though DNA, found out which family my maternal grandfather belonged to and there is a Weston branch, and Canadians will know our famous Weston family of baker and grocery fame  – their origins are in East Sussex, where my lot are from.  Possibly the connection is generations ago, but probably somewhere along the line they are connected.  I also have a Pankhurst in this line, but Emmeline Pankhurst was not one by birth and her husband was from London, but I would guess all Pankhursts descend from the same individual.
My children have a number of connections to nobility and royalty as a large number of their paternal ancestors were early New England settlers, one of them being Governor Thomas Dudley of Massachusetts who links back to early royal lines.  He was the founder of Cambridge, Mass and his daughter, Anne Dudley Bradstreet, considered the first American female poet, is also their ancestor.  Anne’s husband, Simon Bradstreet, also their ancestor, was a Governor of Massachusetts as well.