Author Topic: 1841 - 1901 Census Lookups - John Ashley HANLON and Albert Ashley HANLON  (Read 4009 times)

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
1841 - 1901 Census Lookups - John Ashley HANLON and Albert Ashley HANLON
« on: Friday 11 November 05 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello all!!

please could somebody help me find an elusive family, believed to be from Newcastle upon Tyne. 

Albert Ashley HANLON (b abt 1877) was my great-grandfather.  He married my great-grandmother Sarah Ann REYNOLDS at St Augustine's, Newcastle upon Tyne, on 4th May 1903.  Both Albert, and his father John Ashley HANLON are shown as being "photographers".  John was deceased by the time of the wedding.  The address for Albert and sarah was shown as 133 Wingrove Avenue, Fenham, Newcastle-upon-Tyne at time of marriage.

The names MIGHT be hyphenated, as Albert ASHLEY-HANLON and John ASHLEY-HANLON.  I have looked in the 1901 and 1881 census for both names under many variations and cannot find them. 

Can anyone please find these persons in ANY census for me?  Of course, they may well NOT be from Tyneside, although I do have strong family feelings they were.....

Any help in sorting out this family conundrum will be really appreciated.

Many thanks,
Garry Brookes - Preston, Lancashire (UK)
Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Lancashire - Forsyth, Haddock, Hanlon

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Staffordshire - Habberley, Mills, Billings, Breeze

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 - 1901 Census Lookups - John Ashley HANLON and Albert Ashley HANLON
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 05 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Garry,

No sign of father , from cenus 1861-1901.
No sign of Albert from 1881-1901.
No could I find a good candidate for Sarah Ann.

Website www.historicaldirectories.org has Wards NBL 1898 and Wards NBL for 1910, but under street address, photographers list and surname Ashley, Hanlon or Ashley Hanlon... no sign.

There were not 133 Wingrove Ave on C1901.

There is an Albert Hanlon, aged 24, born Liverpool, in Montgomery, occupation a Commission Agent.

What was Sarah's age on marriage cert. Who was her dad.. his occupation.  Was she recorded as spinster ?

Good Luck,
Michael Dixon,
Blyth, Northumberland
(ex-frequenter of Blackamoor Head, Preston.
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 - 1901 Census Lookups - John Ashley HANLON and Albert Ashley HANLON
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 05 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Michael!

thank you for your very informative reply.  I really do appreciate your research on my behalf, sorry it was not more fruitful for you!!   I have been fretting over these HANLON ancestors for a few weeks now, with no success.  So I thought I would try a request on here.

Albert Ashley HANLON is shown as aged 24, a bachelor, at his wedding on 4th May 1903. Sarah Ann REYNOLDS was aged 23 and a spinster - her father was Thomas REYNOLDS, a farmer.

I have the details on Sarah Ann REYNOLDS prior to 1901.  She is the daughter of Thomas and Mary REYNOLDS of Bishop's Castle, Shropshire.  Thomas and Sarah can be seen in the 1891 census at Bishop's Castle.  In the 1881 census on the LDS website, Thomas's name is incorrectly transcribed as James REYNOLDS.

It's the 1901 census where I can't find Sarah.  I feel that she may then either have been in Liverpool (where an older, married brother lived) or in Newcastle (where her sister-in-law's family came from).

I have seen the Albert HANLON in Montgomeryshire in 1901.  Interestingly, he is married to a girl who was formerly an ASHLEY, and is staying at his in-law's farm.  The ASHLEY connection is eerie??  I am beginning to wonder if there is a connection here somehow.

Can we trust any of the details on the wedding certificate for Albert Ashley HANLON?  The only consistency I have found for him so far is that he is shown as Albert HANLON, photographer, on the birth certificate of my grandmother born in 1904 at Berrington, Shropshire.  Sarah was at this time shown as being resident in the workhouse there.

Anyway, these are my latest thoughts.  If you do find anything on the HANLON line I would indeed be most grateful, even if it only eliminates SOME possibilities!!

Best Wishes,
Garry Brookes
Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Lancashire - Forsyth, Haddock, Hanlon

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Staffordshire - Habberley, Mills, Billings, Breeze