Author Topic: Carrickmore baptism look up please, Ellen White/ also Ellison Carrickmore  (Read 6294 times)

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen White/Ellison from Carrickmore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 March 07 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Back again at the brick wall with another strategy! I dont know if I mentioned it but I have an old photo of an old woman and two younger men and written on the back in faded pencil is 'mother with George' and I have been assured its Ellen's mother. Now I guess the George must be George Ellison from Carrickmore whom we know was married to Martha White  (they are buried in Carrickmore Churchyard). Now, an old woman would not be living alone and as she was not in Donegal could she have lived with George and Martha? I would date the picture about 1890's or possibly turn of the century. If I could find her and get a Christian name and place of birth it might be a step in the right direction.

Brian, when you found George and Martha and family on the 1901 was there a mother-in-law? Has anyone access to the 1891, she may be on there.

I am guessing she may have been called Mary Jane as all the eldest girls seem to have that name!

Carol
McVitty: Co. Donegal, Canada and Worldwide!
Kilpatrick: Co. Donegal
White: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Ellison: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Fleetwood: Yorkshire.
Hassell:London,  Shadrake:London & Essex.
Jenkins/Gardner Devon

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen White/Ellison from Carrickmore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 March 07 15:54 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if the PRONI does a postal/email service? I have been on their website but all info. seems geared to personal visits.

I have found a George White m. Mary Jane Ferguson Ballyclog, Tyrone on 15 Jul 1845. Might be worth investigating, I would like to see if PRONI have their marriage entry.

George may have been from Donegal and his wife from Tyrone, hence the historical connection. I think finding Mrs. White will be very helpful!!

Carol
Jenkins/Gardner Devon

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Still searchin' for me Granny White!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Does anyone have access to C. of I. records for Newtonstewart? I have found an Ellen White on the I.G.I birth/baptism 1848, father White, mother Margaret and possibly her sister Martha 1846.

The dates fit but I would dearly love the father to be George or possibly Robert! Can anyone help?!

Carol
Jenkins/Gardner Devon

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
Re: Still searchin' for me Granny White!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 January 08 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Carol

What reason have you to suspect Church of Ireland? The IGI record does not seem to say one way or the other. Note that the IGI record is "submitted by a member of the LDS Church", ie not an FHS copy of a contemporary record.

Newtownstewart, Co Tyrone, is in the parish of Ardstraw, CoI Diocese of Derry.

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 January 08 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adrian,
Many thanks for your comments.
I am fairly certain they were C.of I as I'm sure I remember my mother saying so. Many thanks also for the information on the Parish - at least now if I get over this year I will have more of an idea where to look! Both she and her sister say they were born in Donegal on the census, but I have failed to find anything, despite the Donegal Ancestry doing a very thorough search for me. I am still working on my mother's statement that Granny was born 'somewhere up near Omagh' !!!!!!!!!! Not a lot to go on!

Regards,
Carol

Jenkins/Gardner Devon

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 13:12 GMT (UK) »
This record from seems to fit name wise, but not location

Baptism- 11 Aug.1848, Kilkeel Roman Catholic Church Co. Down, Ellen White, parents Robert White & Margaret George

OTTO

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 February 08 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Otto,

Many thanks for your efforts on my behalf! I'm sorry I haven't acknowledged earlier but i've had a lot on lately! That entry from Kilkeel certainly fits but I have a feeling thats not her.

The reason I say father called George or Robert is based on the fact that she says on her marriage cert. that her father was George White, a farmer. However, she had 5 sons and not a George amongst them! Her second son was Robert and her third was William so either could be called for her father. He could have been Robert George, known as George.

Through Emerald Ancestry I found a William White, Carrickmore who married Ellen Porter, both servants, in Carrickmore CofI. I believe the local 'big house' was Stewarts?

Through the Donegal site someone found what is almost certainly Ellen's sister Martha White and her husband George Alliston (Ellison) on the baptismal record of their daughter Catherine. This fits with their Donegal origins on the census but how did they end up in Carrickmore very soon after? There has to be a link between Donegal, Carrickmore, the Whites and possibly the Stewart Family as Ellen certainly worked for Isabella Hamilton (nee Stewart) in Brownhall and possibly for her mother in Killindarragh.

Does any of that make sense ??!!!!

Carol

Jenkins/Gardner Devon