Author Topic: 1851 Census Norfolk - Parnell  (Read 5481 times)

Online The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Norfolk - Parnell
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 March 13 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi frankieb

Caroline Read married Robert Philip Browne Mar 1854 Blofield RD
There’s a death for Robert P Browne age 40 Mar 1866 Blofield RD
The 1881 census has a Caroline Brown, widow age 46 with her mother Harriet Read
RG11 1907 67 26

regards
yokel

Offline rihuggett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 March 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have been on to NORS which is the online website and look-up of the Norfolk Family History Society.  Caroline Parnell married at St Martin at Oak on 14/11/1853 Robert Browne.  Note the transcription has -e on the end.  NORS does not give facsimiles so I cannot verify the spelling.  The bride made her mark.  she was a spinster, shoe binder aged 20 of Osborn buildings.  Robert was a shoe maker of Oak St aged 21 and a bachelor; he also made his mark.  The parents were John Parnell, a shawl printer.  Robert Browne senior was a shoe maker.  Witnesses: William Fitt, Rachel Fitt.  Both made their marks.
I cannot find any reference to a Caroline Read between 1852 and 1854.  In fact the only Caroline Read's marriege in Norwich is 25/12/1859 at St Etheldreda's, Norwich to Charles Hook.  He was son of James Hook and she daughter of William Read, a deceased waterman.

Looking at baptisms, I have found the following when inputting "John Parnell" and event date-years of 1815 - 1840:
Mary, daughter of John Parnell, weaver and his wife Mary at St Martin at Oak, baptised 23/02/1823 and under 'notes' the date 03/02/1823 which I take to be the child's date of birth.
John, son of John Parnell, shawl printer and his wife Mary at St Martin at Oak, baptised 05/10/1817 and under 'notes' the date 28/09/1817.
Harriett, daughter of John Parnell, no trade supplied and his wife Elizabeth, maiden name Parnell, baptised at St Martin at Oak 19/09/1824, and under 'notes' the date 16/09/1824.
Joseph, son of John Parnell, shawl printer and his wife Mary, baptised at St Martin at Oak 29/07/1838, under 'notes' "bn 26/07/1838".
William, son of John Parnell, shawl printer and his wife Mary, maiden name Bridges, baptised at St Paul's, Norwich on 20/06/1819 and under 'notes' "born 18 June".
John, son of John Parnell, cordwainer and his wife Mary at St Julian's, Norwich, baptised 13/02/1820 and under 'notes' "b. Feb 4th"
John, son of John Parnell, weaver and his wife Mary (home parish: St Margaret's) at St Margaret's, Norwich baptised 01/05/1825 and under 'notes' "born March".
Benjamin, son of John Parnell, shawl printer and his wife Mary at St Bartholomew's, Heigham, baptised 27/05/1821; no date of birth given.  [Heigham is a North-west Norwich suburb]
Now for marriages - only one between the dates searched:
John Parnell, shawl printer of St Benedicts, single and signed, married at St Benedict's, Norwich 25/05/1817 Mary Bridgets, single and made her mark.  Witnesses: Benjamin Parnell (mark) and Abram Stannard (signed).

Seeing the witness Benjamin Parnell I did a look-up for a Benjamin Parnell from 1775 to 1830.  there is a marriage between Joseph Parnell at St Martin at Oak to Frances Dawson 12/09/1806 (he a widower, she single and both made their mark) with witnesses Benjamin Parnell (mark) and Stephen Codman(signed).

This has been something to get you going.  It has probably raised some questions for you.  But a lot of my findings fit in with the 1841 census someone has sent you in a thread below.  Note difference in Bridges and Bridgets for Mary Parnell's maiden name.

NFHS costs £10 a year and online access to NORS comes with it along with monthly newsletter-bulletin - should you think it worthwhile.  But if not too onerous and I have the time I'll do another look-up for you.
Happy hunting - rihuggett.
Norfolk - Cory, Mills, Douglass, Dagless, Shingles, Burton
Surrey - Huggett, Butcher
Middlesex - Hassell, Spenceley, Millward, Mills, Barry, Kelly, Buckinger
Bucks - Chapman, North
Oxon - Pratt
Sussex - Butcher, Huggett

Online The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 31 March 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
yes Robert Browne did have an e

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0tae/

yokel

Offline berkeley

• RootsChat Senior
  • HMS Berkeley-Dieppe-Aug-19-1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 31 March 13 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, not much to add, but freereg, has Caroline, birth, 15/06/1833, bapt, 06/10/1844, with the details father is shawl printer, so that ties in. Family search, Norfolk P. R's gives Browne... with the E, Dave.

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 April 13 10:17 BST (UK) »
 :) Thanks everyone. So it looks like Caroline parnell may be the one. Just to be sure i will just get one of the childrens birth certificates. My robert brown(e) also definately had father robert. And the cordwainer connection could also be a clue. They also moved to rossendale which is or was the shoemaking area of the northwest. Rumour had it that these Parnell's , or maybe Brown(e) were of flemish gypsy extraction, but from this i see no sign. Mentioned is a connection also to gem(jem) mace, the boxer . But perhaps everyone wants to find that connection if they live around Norfolk?
I have robert and caroline definately living in bacup, spotland in 1881, so at least that rules out that Caroline Read.
thanks again.
frankie b