Author Topic: which set of parents  (Read 1022 times)

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
which set of parents
« on: Sunday 13 November 05 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the parents of a John John whom married Gwenlillian i do not have a marriage date, but would have been around 1828/31 they lived in Llantwit Major Vale of Glamorgan, ages given for John in all the census are as follows 1841 age 35 (1806) (Rounded to the nearest 5 Years), 1851 aged 48 years (1803), 1861 57 years (1804), 1871 67years, (1804) and the 1881 census 77 years (1804) Census being taken mostly in April.
His Children's names are John, Caroline, Margaret and Robert, so no clues in the names for the Children, but Robert called one of his children Thomas, and John Jr called some of his children Mary, Thomas, Elizabeth, and Margaret never married and Caroline i cant find her marriage.
Information on possible parents that I can find in the Parish records

Children of a Thomas and Mary John St Donats

Catharine 19/06/1785,William 16/07/1789, Anne 06/01/1793, Mary 14/04/1795, Mary 25/04/1796
William 10/03/1799, William 16/03/1800 ,John 13/06/1802, John 10/051804, Ann 25/07/1806
All children shown as bapt at St Donats

There is a marriage  for a Thomas of Parish Bonvilston and Mary Evan of Llanmaes for 06/11/1777 married in Llanames (less than a mile form Llantwit)
All children shown as bapt at St Donats about 2 miles

Children of  Morgan and Elizebeth

There is a marriage entry for a Morgan John of Llantwit Major and Elizabeth Evan of Llantwit Major married at Llantwit major 13/06/1781

Thomas  27/06/1797  shown as bapt Wick (3 miles form Llantwit), John!  26/06/1803 Shown as bapt Llantwit Major

These entries only show the fathers name Morgan

17/10/1790 Anne  bapt Wick, 17/08/1793 Elizebeth  bapt Wick

It has to be noted that there is also a Morgan and Jane living in Wick around the same time so above children without Mothers name could belong to either Eliz or Jane, children shown
These are there children
04/11/1784 Anne,  17/02/1788 John.
Could not find Marraige entry for a morgan and Jane

and as yet i have not had the opportunity of having a look up on the 1851 Census or Later for a John John born in St Donats.
Which set of pearents woud be the most suitable set for My John John?/

Any advice most welcome

Regards

Russell

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: which set of parents
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 05 08:51 GMT (UK) »
I guess this is the John John b. 1804 St Donats (son of Thomas) in the 1851 census:

HO107/2456/80/12 - Ru[]ffordd fâch, Welsh St Donatts

John John  Head  47  Shoemaker  b. Welsh St Donatts
Margret  "   Wife  46  b. Pendoylan
Morgan  "  Son  10  Scholar  b. Welsh St Donatts
Jonathan  "  Son  7  b. Welsh St Donatts
William  "  Son  5  b. Welsh St Donatts
Miriam  "  Dau  2  b. Welsh St Donatts
Hannah Rogers  Child nursing  1  Schoolmaster's daur  b. Lanblethian

Rambler

ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 05 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, this does look good as the possible son of the Thomas,   even thou St Donats and Welsh St Donats are two different places they are only 7,5 miles apart,  i dont know if they shred the same records,
is this the only john john for that year in the area of Glamorgan?..

regards

Russell

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 05 12:36 GMT (UK) »
I don't know the area well, but here are the other John Johns of roughly the right age who seem to come from round there on the 1851 census:

John John  46  Farmer  b. St Nicholas - living in Lancarvan with wife Cecelia.

John John  50  Mason  b. St Andrews - living in St Andrews with 14 yr-old son John.

John John  42  Ag Lab  b. St Nicholas - living in Welsh St Donatts with wife Mary and son Noah.

John John  47  Gardener  b. Sully - lodging in St Andrews.

John John  48  Farmer's son  b. Lansanon - living with father John, wife Margaret & 4 kids in Llantrisant.

John John  45  Ag Lab  b. Llantrisant - living with wife Jane & 4 kids in Ystradowen.

John John   44  Farmer  b. Ystradowen - living in Llanblethian with 2 kids & 2 servants.

(Also your John with wife Gwenlillian)

As far as I can see, others are from Swansea area, or age is much too far out - hope I haven't missed anyone!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 05 12:44 GMT (UK) »
A Big thank you,

I think i can safley say  :) that my Johns parents were morgan and Elizabeth and he must have been one of the last Child born because of the Marriage, even thou  it looks like they had no children till after 16 years of marriage but there could be some born in a diffrent parish..

Thank you once again for your help

Kind regards

Russell