Author Topic: 1851 Census Lookup - Barry Parish, Village of Carnoustie-HERD/HIRD  (Read 6061 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Lookup - Barry Parish, Village of Carnoustie-HERD/HIRD
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 February 07 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Oh Jean, thank you for your trouble. I suppose maybe they were just missed, but I think myself that they are hiding somewhere, just mis-transcribed.

Yes, Civil Parish of Dundee for both and William died in Dundee in 1858.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Youngson
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 February 07 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Scotsmum, can't find anything either. If you do a search on Youngson born in Dundee, not one match comes up, which I think is quite odd, as you'd think there'd be more than your family wouldn't you? I've also tried the England census to no avail.

Jean :'(
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Lookup - Barry Parish, Village of Carnoustie-HERD/HIRD
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 February 07 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Not to worry, thanks. I sneaked a 3 day free trial on Ancestry this weekend (via another Rootschat post on the Ancestry Canada offer). This let me look again at the Scotland 1851 and I tried so many diffrent combinations of names, details, but all to no avail. I think their Census return either didn't happen for whatever reason or has been so badly mis-transcribed as to be lost beyond reason.

Never mind, these things happen. 

By the way, the name wasn't particulary common in Dundee. There were some others there in the timescale, but born Montrose or elsewhere, not Dundee. Although 'my' William was born Dundee, his family apparently came from nearby Montrose.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .