Author Topic: Geography help please  (Read 2028 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Geography help please
« on: Monday 14 November 05 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I have a lass born c.1850 - in 1851, 1861 and 1871 she is living with her family, birthplace given as Shaftesbury. I think I have found her marriage in March 1880 but for the next 3 census (censi?) she has given her birthplace as Fontmell Magna, which I find is only about 4 miles from Shaftesbury.

Is it possible that this is the same person - is it a surburb of Shaftesbury? Would there be any sensible reason for the change?

thanks

Trish

She also changed from Annie  to Ann - could it all be part of the "New Image" or of having the husband, rather than the father, complete the details?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Geography help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 05 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
Can't help with the geography bit, but think you're right to be wary as you have both a marriage and a change in birthplace consistent before and after marriage. I have frequent examples of change of birthplace when everything else shows it to be the same person (in one case a different place on every census ::)) but they are always erratic. Presumably you are sure the marriage is her  ??? Why not post her details and we can all burrow around to double check there isn't another Shaftesbury born lady hiding somewhere.
Cheers Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 05 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

Many thanks - and I think I've just discovered she is not my lady - grrr - as  in 1891 an elderly man named Hart is living with her - who also comes from Fontmell magna & looking at his past - he is her father - so I'm back to square one - so if you'd like to try and find her for me   ;D  ;D 

1871 Annie M Miles 20  Born Shaftesbury, Dorset living at home with family
Shaftesbury Dorset RG10/1967 35/6

I couldn't find her in 1881 - Mother (Letitia Miles b. c1829 Longham, Dorset) is a widow living with another daughter.
Found this marriage group on FreeBDM
Marriages Mar 1880  5a 353 Shaftesbury
Hart  Ann   
Miles  Annie     
Miller  George John     
SIMS  Henry     

and have just discovered that Ann Hart  is the one who married Henry Sims
but I can find no trace of Annie Miller  born Dorset 1850 - so is she not this person either??

Any help appreciated

Trish

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 05 12:55 GMT (UK) »
No luck with Ann* Mil* born Shaftesbury in 1881 :'( What does the M stand for? If it's Maria notice  there are 2 marriages 1876 June and 1879 March for Anna Maria Miles in Shaftesbury plus a death in 1876 for a 25 year old Anna Maria - could one of these be yours?
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 05 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking Jan. I don't know what the M stands for. One of her sisters is an Agnes M which is a Mary. There is another Annie Maria in the family (a cousin on the mother's side I think). While checking I found another Annie Maria born Bedfordshire in 1850 so any of the marriages/deaths could also be hers  ???

This may take a little longer than I thought (guess I was spoilt, I found the sisters quickly). I'll check the marriages you found, not sure how I missed them.

Trish

Offline issie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 06 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
You may well be sorted by now but in case you are still searching.....
Re the geography. Shaftsbury is the registration district for Fontmell Magna. While some data gives the village name other gives the district, giving the impression it's two different places/people.
Hope this helps in your quest. Have you  checked the Dorset OPC web. There is also a very good Rootsweb dorset Mailing list. They are very helpful folk.
hope this helps.
Vim
Warren, Burden, Stour Provost.
Miles,Kingsley. Miles Wimborne.
Foot, Compton Pauncefoot.
Francis,Sturminster Newton. Francis, Manston

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 January 06 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vim

Many thanks for your useful information  (I am still looking). I have been away, so apologies for the delay in answering

Trish