Author Topic: Hand Held Viewer  (Read 8983 times)

Offline Whitchurch 12000

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Hand Held Viewer
« on: Monday 05 January 04 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I am looking to purchase a microfiche hand held viewer.   Difficulty is finding somebody who sells them with a price tag?   Any suggestions? :)

Offline Whitchurch 12000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Hand Held Viewer
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 January 04 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestion.   I have written asking for details.   Thanks again

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 January 04 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Your best bet would be to purchase some Family History Magazines (or view them in your main reference library for free). You will find many companies specializing in such items.

You could also go to your local family history centre and put a few wanted cards up on their boards for free, or place a wanted ad in www.adtrader.co.uk for your region.

Hope this helps.
Welsh Jen :)

Offline Whitchurch 12000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 January 04 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Just to say a big thank you to those that responded to my message.   I have now a hand held viewer on order which I believe is now in the post to me.   It is a H001 Microvision 2 from M.B.I.
Keith Taylor ;D

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 January 04 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Keith,

Have you got the contact details/website for the company you got it from?

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Whitchurch 12000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 January 04 10:55 GMT (UK) »
 :)    Morning.

I got mine from trevor.parker@virgin.net must say it was a very prompt and friendly service and I am well pleased with not having to go out to view a fiche in the local library.   Its freezing out there?

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 March 04 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,  :)

How are you getting on with your viewer?  I am thinking of buying one and wondered what yours is like.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Marjorie

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 March 04 07:26 GMT (UK) »
I have in fact purchased a viewer but have been unable to purchase micro fiche - I did order microfiche from a company of line but did not receive it and was unable to contact them so obviously cancelled cheque.   What is the best way to go about finding out what is actually on the microfiche and ordering microfiche?

Incidentally I also bought my viewer from MBI - Trevor Parker, and received a very quick and helpful service - only trouble is I haven't used the viewer yet!
BROOKES     WYER        JEAVONS    SMITH   MITCHELL     RADNALL  GILL            GROVES
ALLEN

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 March 04 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Re: Microfiche in general.

We happen to have a photo-quality scanner (so we can scan our old negatives). I was going to try scanning my name-index fiche when the order  arrives, and if it is readable that way,  look at them on my PC screen. I don't think that there is a copyright problem, so long as I don't the sell on the fiche or pass on the scanned images.

Q: How does the size of a "page image " on a microfiche compare to the size of a 35mm negative/ postage stamp? I've been using microfilm my last few visits to the library, and I can't visualise it.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.