Author Topic: John Owen, born in Lymm  (Read 1136 times)

Offline kwheelc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Owen, born in Lymm
« on: Monday 14 November 05 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of a John Owen born in Lymm c1817 who married Betty and moved to Cadishead.  I have hit a brick wall trying to trace the family back beyone this point.  Thanks for your help

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Owen, born in Lymm
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 November 05 13:33 GMT (UK) »
This must be them in the 1851 census.

Chapel Lane, Barton upon Irwell, Lancs Village of Cadishead
John Owen    Head   34   Fustion (?) cutter    Cheshire, Lymm
Betty   "         Wife    36       "                "        Lancs, Cadishead
Peter   "         Son     6                                       "            "
Aaron  "         Son     1                                       "            "

HO107/2218 Folio 382 page 2

Do you need the other years?

Isobel                                 

Offline kwheelc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 05 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you're right that is them - sorry obviously didn't express myself very well - I have those details from the census but I cannot get any information on John Owen's parentage - the trail seems to go cold in Lymm. thanks for your help

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 05 13:46 GMT (UK) »
My mistake. I was thinking of something else as I read your message. It was clear.

I think I need another cup of tea to wake myself up properly!!

Isobel

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 05 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a marriage record for John and Betty?  If not, you might want to get hold of a birth cert for one of the children, as this will give her maiden name.  Then we can look for a marriage, and a marriage cert will give John and Betty's fathers' names.

FreeBMD http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl has a birth record for Aaron Owen, Jun Q 1849 in Chorlton reg. district (which covers Barton on Irwell) - ref. Chorlton 20 167.

I've checked the Cheshire Parish Register Database http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/, but there's no birth for John Owen c1817.  I think the database only covers St Mary Lymm (C of E), so he might have been christened non-conformist or elsewhere - another possibility is that he was christened under one name, but used another  - my g-father used his step-father's name on all official records, and it took me ages to realise he was registered at birth under a different name...

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kwheelc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 November 05 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tips, I'll look in to Aaron's birth certificate.  I think I may be able to shed some insight on the C of E front for Lymm Parish.  My mum told me that my Grandad's family had an unusual approach to religion and in his family all the boys were methodist and all the girls C of E.  It may be that this was a compromise in later generations or it could have been a long standing family tradition.
Once again thanks for your help.