Author Topic: Ann Bray - lady of mystery  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ann Bray - lady of mystery
« on: Tuesday 15 November 05 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I have this lady, Ann Bray, born c1849, Cornwall. 

She is my g, g, grandmother.  I only have her on the Wales, Glamorgan, 1881 census.  Married to Thomas Flynn with daughter Ellen Jane born 1878. 

I would love to find out more about this lady...but don't know where to start!  Please can someone advise how I can narrow down this ladies details of birth, maybe possibly marriage...am at a standstill... and out of steam.... help  ???

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Bray - lady of mystery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Cas:
I did a quick Google search and found this.  http://www.geocities.com/gjlegg/ancestors5.html#Anne%20Penno

I know it is not your Anne but might very well be a relative. It seems that the person who has this site might have  lots of info which could be helpful to you.

Here is another site for the town of Tintagel in Cornwall. You will notice references to records of Bray family.  http://members.aol.com/Dprsns827/Tintagel/OPC.htm

And here you will see quite a listing of Brays in cemeteries in Cornwall.http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7Echrisu/mainb3.htm

Hope something helpful is here.
Good luck,

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pat.  Will give it a go see what I can find.

Cas

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cas

I was looking at a few options but have met a few dead ends. I initially thought the other Census may help and as much of Cornwall is on FreeCen
http://freecen.rootsweb.com/
you may find what you wanted there. On searching, however
In 1851 there are about 4 possibles with the exact name of Ann Bray (& possibly others Annie or Anne etc). One of the Ann's had a mother with the name of Jane so if I had to guess, I thought she may be a possible.

My next thought was to hope they were married in 1871 & perhaps living in England so we would get a birth location within Cornwall. But I couldn't find an Ann Flynn in 1871 born Cornwall. Given the babe was born in 1878 she probably didn't marry too long before this date.

I then looked for the family in 1891 and found Ellen Jane working as a servant, a possible Thomas living as a boarder and specifying he is single & no sign of Ann.

Do you know when she died. If you had a death certificate would it provide the names of her parents?

Or when she married? Her father's name should be on the marriage record. Parent names would help identify the correct census entry.

Apart from FreeCen, I have found this site very good for Cornwall
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/index.htm
but you will need to find the location of the birth for much benefit.

If you want the detail anything I found, let me know

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Thank you for your time and effort in looking for Ann, I think the 1851 census with mother 'Jane' is one I will keep in mind. 

I have been unable to find a marriage for this couple, and because I do not know where she was born, cannot determine a birth reference. Have also looked for death references but nothing concrete.

I have all the BMD details on Ellen Jane who was my g grandmother, it seems she was an only child, and alone by the time she was 13  :-\

many thanks again

Cas

Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 23:42 GMT (UK) »

I have all the BMD details on Ellen Jane who was my g grandmother, it seems she was an only child, and alone by the time she was 13 

It's just amazing how they coped at all  :'(  :'( 

It could be that they didn't marry? but he accepted he was the father. The 1891 may be your Thomas.  It may be worth looking for the death of Ann Bray as well as Ann Flynn. Good luck with the searching.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk