Author Topic: Scarboroughs Boer war volunteers.  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Will Marshall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Scarboroughs Boer war volunteers.
« on: Wednesday 16 November 05 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi people. Ive been researching a particluer great grandad and his military career. From research and sources such as his medal card it has become apparent that he served around 18 to 25 years. He had an extremly low terrotorial number [57 to be exact]. This tells me he must have been one of the first to join up.
I also recall some boer war era flags hanging in st marys church Scarborough a few years ago. Therfore a possibility that he served in the Boer war. Does anyone know the unit that recruited in the area? are there records and if so where [im guessing the NA].

Does anyone else have Boer war veteren ancestors, living in scarborough?

An info would be great.

Will

p.s I realise that this is a military subject and will post a copy in the armed forces section. i  thought locals may have a bit of usefull info to.
Marshall, Hopkins, Marlow, Frank, Burns, Doy, Haggerstone, Frankland, Bulmer, Hoggard, Baker, Chapman, Walker, Stonehouse.

Offline Will Marshall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Scarboroughs Boer war volunteers.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 05 18:30 GMT (UK) »
If its any help He served in the 5th Green howards during ww1. Pre to 1908 I beleive there was a local militia. Ive had a good look around and found these. The units below served as a militia in the Yorkshire North rideing area. On this site it makes a reference to them serving in 1902 in South Africa so Ill try following this up.

1853.             22nd, or North York Rifle Regiment of Militia
1881.07.01    4th Battalion, The Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment)
1908.09.06    disbanded [Im guessing this went on to be the 5th green Howards]

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/volmil-england/militia/york-n.htm

Will
Marshall, Hopkins, Marlow, Frank, Burns, Doy, Haggerstone, Frankland, Bulmer, Hoggard, Baker, Chapman, Walker, Stonehouse.