Author Topic: Sapper Sales in Quetta  (Read 3289 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Sapper Sales in Quetta
« on: Thursday 17 November 05 06:44 GMT (UK) »
        It's been awfull quiet the past few days in the darkroom, so I thought it may be time to get things moving again. I was never a fan of colourizing until I saw some of the work you guys do - I was taught to watercolour photo's, but even though I did a half decent job, I always felt that it didn't look real - however modern technology and your skills made me think again.
         My Uncle Len, who died before I was bornwould look great in colour - PLEASE.
          Uncle Len was a carreer soldier, this particular photo' was taken in India (probably Quetta) about 1935. Len was Killed at Hermanville on the second day of the 'D' day campaign aged 30.
                                        Thanks
                                              Denn
P.S.    I have a large tiff file if wanted
                                              Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sapper Sales in Quetta
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 05 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Gee Denn, This will come up great as it's in such good condition. I bet when I have a look tomorrow, there will be quite a few efforts done. I might even have a crack  at this one myself.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 05 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denn

This should be fun. I'll give it a bash later when I get home (work computer only has Microsoft Paint!)

Does anyone have any clues as to the correct colours of the uniform? I would assume the main part is light khaki, but what about the puttees? Are they green, or dark olive, or brown, or dark khaki? And the boots? And the strap on the Pith helmet. Red, blue, green?

And no repairs needed!!!  :D

Glen

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 November 05 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Glen,
         I'm afraid I can't help much but to tell you he was in the Royal Engineers (when he died in 1945 he was 263 field coy -but that was ten years after the photo').
                                                Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline Man of Kent

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 November 05 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I will try to hava a go later also, The badge on his hat is not that of the R.E's though.

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 November 05 11:51 GMT (UK) »
The badge would seem to be for The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 November 05 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I know that when he died he was in the Royal Engineers, however he probably was earlier in a different unit, coming from Yorkshire you may be right - but could it possibly have been  the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry?, I say this because we have several artifacts in the family from the KOYLI.
                                             Denn

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 November 05 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denn

The cap badge of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry is described as "Within a French hunting horn a pomme thereon the white rose", or, to put it simply, a hunting horn with an apple and a rose shoved in the loopy bit!

Theres a site about them, from where I got the badge description.
http://www.lightinfantry.org.uk/regiments/koyli/kingyork_index.htm

The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire, or the West Yorkshire Regiment as was, has a badge of the White Horse of Hanover, conferred on the regiment by King George III in 1765. Apparently!

Amazing what you can find out with Google!

Glen

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 November 05 14:28 GMT (UK) »
          Yes, you're right, I have just been going through some info' and he was in the "West Yorkshire Regiment".
          Trouble now is, with all this KOYLI stuff in the family I have to find out who that all came from.
                                         Denn