Author Topic: Infantry Records  (Read 4012 times)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Infantry Records
« on: Thursday 17 November 05 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Although I have no information that my grandfather was ever in the services. on the back of his marriage certificate in Paris is a stamp" Infantry Record Office No. 7 district Warwick"  6.2.1919

Can anyone shed any light on this for me.

Many thanks Pat
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Infantry Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 05 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat!

I really don't know the answer to your question - but I wonder if each county had their own Infantry Record Office dealing with military matters - I found this regarding Shrewsbury - but I'm wondering if your Grandfather was still in the Army and therefore had to have permission to marry!!

An undated letter indicates that Thomas Strangward, Oliver’s father, was sent a letter after the war from the Infantry Record Office in Shrewsbury. This is signed by an illegible signature and there is an anonymous signature line: Lieut. for Lt Colonal Officer i/c No.2 Infantry Records, No 4 District and the message shows a lack of sympathy and is obviously a standard letter:

Sir or Madam

I am directed to forward you the accompanying Memorial Scroll together with the King’s Message in commemoration of the soldier mentioned thereon.

The Plaque will be forward to you in due course direct from the Plaque factory.

Will you please sign the receipt below, and return in the stamped addressed envelope.

I am,

Sir or Madam

Your obedient servant

It is signed by Thomas Strangward, who duly returned the receipt.

Annie
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 05 19:16 GMT (UK) »
that girls right AGAIN,each district did have its own records,No 7 district was the royal warwickshire regt,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 November 05 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Annie and Mack, I' m still confused though, my grandfather was living in Paris at the time of his marriage ,in England he lived in St. Georges in the East, Stepney how did he get into the Warwickshire regiment or am I missing something here through my lack of regimental knowledge.

Pat
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 November 05 20:47 GMT (UK) »
pat,assuming that your g/mother was british,its likely that your g/father was still serving and hes been given permission to marry,so your g/mother has gone to france to get married,most soldiers were not discharged till 1919,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 November 05 21:46 GMT (UK) »
 On the marriage cert May 1914 they were both resident in Paris he was  a clerk, so how did my grandfather come to be in the Warwickshire regiment in 1919?

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 November 05 22:37 GMT (UK) »
hiya pat,what was his name,mack

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 November 05 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi mack,  Emanuel Frederick Phillips b 1889.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 November 05 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mack,

Just remebered he was known as Frederick

Pat