Author Topic: 1851 census Lookup please! Sleat, Skye  (Read 5739 times)

Offline Oran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1851 census Lookup please! Sleat, Skye
« on: Friday 18 November 05 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth McPherson born abt. 1819 to 1822 Tormore OPR entry
Left Skye sometime after birth of her 1st son Alexander born 1849

Possibly Elizabeth's second marriage to Robert Phillips Fort William 1856 she is found with her new family in the 1861 Census Fort William, her son and herself listed as born Kilmuir. (Kilmore?)

We don’t have an 1851 Census find for Elizabeth, which might tell us her home town and where she was in 1851, but also the surname of her son born 1849.

I am sure you will agree, Elizabeth Mcpherson marrying at 34 years is quite late in life for this era, could this possible be a second marriage, and could there be a Ban/marriage entry for her in sleat?

Any information greatfully appreciated  :P

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census Lookup please! Sleat, Skye
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 November 05 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Oran,

There is a marriage between Elizabeth McPherson & Robert Phillips listed on the IGI as - 25 NOV 1856   Kilmallie, Argyll, Scotland

If you have their marriage in 1856 Fort William, it looks like the banns were called in both parishes.  Something to check out.

What was the surname of Alexander in the 1861 census?  Was he down as a Phillips, or as a McPherson?  If the latter, chances are that he was born illigitimate, or Elizabeth married a man with the surname McPherson.

Sorry I don't have the 1851 census for Sleat to check it out for you here is the FHL film number for you though - FHL BRITISH Film

And for Kilmallie 1851 census -
FHL BRITISH Film
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Oran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debbie,

Many thanks for you reply to my post, nice to hear from you again :)

I do indeed have the marriage cert. for Elizabeth Mcpherson and Robert Phillips in 1856, which gives the parents of Elizabeth as, father Alexander Mcpherson, and mother Catherine Robertson.
Please excuse my ignorance, but I dont fully understand what you mean by checking the banns, and how I would do this.

If you have their marriage in 1856 Fort William, it looks like the banns were called in both parishes.  Something to check out.

The surname of Elizabeth's son born abt. 1849 in the 1861 census is indeed Phillips, and possibly took this name after the marriage in Fort William in 1856. I know Elizabeth left the Isle of Skye sometime after the birth of her son 1849 and marriage 1856.
It also interesting to note, that Alexander is not found in later census finds for the family, but a Robert with excactly the same birth year, which leads me to believe he adopted his step fathers full name.

However, Elizabeth has not been found to date in the 1851 census, and was hoping, finding her in 1851 would not only reveal where she was living, (and positivly identify her/family), but the surname of her son Alexander, possibly of a previous marriage/Bann, Which might enable enable a marriage entry if records permitt?

I also wonder about her parents a lot, and try to imagine if they stayed on Skye, or left to be near thier daughter in Fort William, as they were not listed as deceased on Elizabeth's Marriage entry, which I think was the norm for Scottish records, as you know.
As you know there was a lot of civil unrest at this time, with ordinary people forced into debts, unforgivably mis-treated, and 'The Clearances'.

According to information from the Clan Mcdonald archives, The farm where Elizabeths parents were found in 1841 in Ostaig, actually absorbed the nieghbouring farm Kilbeg, and that they were not crofting tennants, but tennants to a larger independant farming tennant, and the Kilbeg farm had a Alexander Mcpherson and Catherine Lamont listed, and they argued the family found in Ostaig could be the same family or equally our family of ancestors, (not positivly identified), just to make things more interesting! all fascinating stuff.  :o

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Oran

I did a parent search on Family Search for Elizabeth MacPherson and an entry comes up in Sleat on 7 Aug 1819.  She was actually christened Betty MacPherson.  She also had at least one brother called John who was born 20 Dec 1815 also in Sleat.

Now, I also did a marriage search for Elizabeth MacPherson,  marrying in the 1840s.  From those male names (grooms)  I also did a parent search with Elizabeth MacPherson as the mother to see if any of the couples had a son Alexander and there were two entries:

1. John Ross and Eliz. MacP: Married in 1848 and had Alexander Hector Ross on 26/12/1848 and John MacP Ross on 13/11/1850 . All entries for Inverness, Inverness-shire

2. William MacIntosh and Eliz. MacP: Married in 1841 and had Margaret 1847, Alexander 1849 and William 1851. All entries for Daviot and Dunlichity, Inverness

No way of confirming if these are relevant but I thought they might be useful for you to have, just in case!

On the issue of Elizabeth's parents, I don't know if you have used the official Scottish pay to view site, Scotland's People. I haven't viewed any certs. but I did a search for Cath*rine M*cPherson, other surname Robertson,  born 1790 +/- 10years and two entries came up in Inverness-shire. May be worth a look.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Oran,

Sorry to confuse you, I didn't really mean to check out the banns.  More to check out the census and or parish registers for Kilmallie as well as Sleat.  If the banns were called in Kilmallie and Fort William, it would appear that Robert's parish of residence was Fort William, and Elizabeth - (maybe with her parents?) was living in Kilmallie at the time of the marriage.

There would be an entry in the Kilmallie parish register - here is the film number for you - FHL BRITISH Film
1041070 Items 3-4

It would be worth your while to check for all the family there in the 1851 census as well - you might strike lucky!
I don't know if the Argyll FHS has done an index to the 1851 ?  But a plea for a look up in the Argyll section is worth a shot!

Deb

Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Oran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica,

Thank-you for all the searches you did, and taking time to reply to my post, it is greatly appreciated.
Searching for Elizabeth as parent I found an interesting angle, and again thank-you for posting to two results, need more time to examine these.

I do indeed use the official Scottish pay to view site from time to time, and will make a point to look at the two enties you have mentioned for Cath*rine M*cpherson in Inverness-shire.
All in all, Thank-you very much Monica  ;)

Offline Oran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Debbie,

Thank-you for explaining, I understand what you mean now, just call me lightening in future.  :D