Author Topic: CHILTON/BETTS of Adderbury  (Read 1703 times)

Offline technoviolet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
CHILTON/BETTS of Adderbury
« on: Friday 18 November 05 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Looking for anyone with a connection to/info on the CHILTON family of Adderbury after 1775....not sure where before that!  Also looking for info on the BETTS family at a similar time.

I have a Thomas CHILTON marrying a Hannah BETTS in Adderbury, 5 Feb 1775.  Hannah was born in the village in 1758 to John and Mary BETTS.  Their marriage and birth locations unknown.

I have the transcripts for Adderbury events on CD, but I do not see a baptism for Thomas CHILTON there, or in the other parishes included.  Does anyone else have a spare Thomas, b. abt. 1750 (going by burial records)?

Jenna :)
Worcestershire - Keepax, Emuss, Insley; Herefordshire/Welsh Borders - Evans, Griffiths, Carter; Shropshire - Twigg; Oxfordshire - Chilton, Betts, Walter, Guy; Bristol - Crumpton; Norfolk - Pratt, Larke, Harmer, Felstead, Howes, Hall, Burrell, Lynn, Bunkill, Slapp; Suffolk - Dessent, Ward, Peck, Corbell, Middleditch, Southwell, Allum, Alleston, Warren, Sadler, Palmer; Middlesex/Hertfordshire - Twyford, Dean; Herts - Aldridge, Allum, Uncle, Tyler

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CHILTON/BETTS of Adderbury
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 November 05 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenna ...

From the OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index (1538-1837), this is the only John BETTS marrying a Mary before 1759:

18 NOV 1758 - John BETTS (Burford) to Mary RAWLINS at Shilton

The date is "good", but not sure how Burford/Shilton fits in geographically with Adderbury!

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline technoviolet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 November 05 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion Pennie,

I shall make a note and investigate this couple further, but as you've said, the places don't seem to fit in at all well.  My John and Mary baptised their first (as far as I can see) child on 6 Jan 1759 at Adderbury....I guess it's possible they upped and moved from Shilton, but it could be a bit odd.

Might have to try in Northants/Warks too.

Thanks again,
Jenna
Worcestershire - Keepax, Emuss, Insley; Herefordshire/Welsh Borders - Evans, Griffiths, Carter; Shropshire - Twigg; Oxfordshire - Chilton, Betts, Walter, Guy; Bristol - Crumpton; Norfolk - Pratt, Larke, Harmer, Felstead, Howes, Hall, Burrell, Lynn, Bunkill, Slapp; Suffolk - Dessent, Ward, Peck, Corbell, Middleditch, Southwell, Allum, Alleston, Warren, Sadler, Palmer; Middlesex/Hertfordshire - Twyford, Dean; Herts - Aldridge, Allum, Uncle, Tyler

Offline Oxfordshire FHS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 December 05 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone else have a spare Thomas, b. abt. 1750 (going by burial records)?

Hi Jenna

The Oxfordshire Baptism Index 1538-1851 doesn't have a Thomas CHILTON of use to you. But the index is incomplete, and we can search it for you again when more parishes have been added if that would be useful.

Good luck.

Paul Gaskell
Minutes Secretary and Publicity Officer
Oxfordshire Family History Society
Web : www.ofhs.org.uk
E-mail : publicity@ofhs.org.uk

Offline technoviolet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 December 05 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Paul,

I shall bear that in mind.  My attention has been directed to a possibility, from the IGI, of a Thomas CHILTON bapt. 15 Jan 1748 at Stratton Audley, to a John and Sarah.  I'm going to investigate him to see if he remains a possibility, ie. to see if he may have died as a child or anything.

There are several more Northants parishes for me to eliminate too, but I suspect I shall have to wait until I can get down there (next year maybe) to work on those, as there are not that many resources online or seemingly that I can buy.

Best regards,
Jenna