Author Topic: STOCK Family, Rowberrow, Somerset.  (Read 10617 times)

Offline glamboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STOCK Family, Rowberrow, Somerset.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 December 11 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet, Hope you had a nice Christmas, with regard  to Samuel Stock the first time I have been able to find him is on the 1851 census. He and Sarah lived in the Monmouth area at the that time he had 3 children Leonard (4) Henry (1) and Caroline (1 month).

I then found them living in Van Rd, Caerphilly with Henry (11) Caroline (10) Sarah (7) Albert (6)  Joseph(4) George (2) my Grandmothers father.

So the names seem to fit my Grandmothers name was Florence Katy Stock I presume after her mothers sister Kate York.

Hope this is of help the problem I found is people never really spoke about the past years ago especially people who moved to wales from England. I have more West country blood in me than Welsh that's for sure.

Regards Lyndon

Offline tubal cain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 December 11 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lyndon....just a note.. I found Samuel on 1881 Census...says he was born Bristol Somerset...my Stocks also migrated northwards so I reckon we are probably related distantly...Samuel & Family living in Glamorgan on the 1881 Census from the free Familysearch site...I am sure you would already have this...I can type it out for you if you don't...am off to do some chores before the heat hits us...will keep looking for you...regards...Janet

Offline tubal cain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lyndon...you probably have Samuel Stock's & Sarah York's marriage....25 June 1843 St. Mary's Church, Bristol, Gloucester England...father's name James Stock...which James Stock????..regards Janet

Offline glamboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,

yes I noticed Samuel down as coming from Bristol, I will need to get a copy of the marriage certificate of him and Sarah to establish exactly where their fathers where from.

I don't really know much about Samuel or Kate I know he was a miner and his son George Stock Married Mary Ann Jone from Brecon Town then moved to Pontypridd and lived in 11 Pantygraigwen Road and he had the following children.

David Samuel Stock
George
Arthur
Sarah
Mary Anne
Catherine
Walter
Florence Katy (My wonderful Grandmother)

I will come back to you if I find anything else what part of the work do you live in you said the about the heat getting to you.

Regards Lyndon

Offline tubal cain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lyndon....we live about 60 kms out of Sydney Australia...heat not too bad as yet...we have had some showers but it makes it very humid...we often have many days in Summer past 100 mark...hope weather maybe kinder to us this year & no bush fires....my Stocks came to Australia 1920...my Grandfather George Stock (1872) suffered with Bronchial trouble & thought the better climate would be ok he lasted another 20 years so it must have proved to be so...he died a year before I was born so don't know a lot about him...his father also George Stock was in the British Army & my grandfather was born in Cork Ireland (1872) while he was posted there...thanks for info on your family...regards Janet

Offline glamboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,

I started my family tree about 2 years ago and have a few relatives in Australia, New Zealand and Canada. I must admit I have enjoyed my research the Stock side is the last leg for me.

I live in Pontypridd the home of Tom Jones, my surname is Francis, my mothers maiden name was Enoch. My wife and I have been married for 38 years and we were in infants school together.

My Francis line came from Dorset, my Enoch line are true Welsh, I think the name Stock is German in origin.

I hope we are related Janet I will keep in touch with you and update you with any information I find.

If don't know if you subscribe to Ancestry I don't personally I will next year when I retire, if you do will you look at Samuel Stocks wife Sarah's fathers name  hope it is Samuel York he also moved to wales to live with his daughter.

Kindest Regards Lyndon.

Offline tubal cain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 December 11 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lyndon...we were off the air yesterday but all ok now...I will just give you the  basic outline of my Stock Family Tree & if we tie up in the future you can get back in touch with me....no I don't subscribe to Ancestry we can get it for free at a local Library not as good as having it in your home ...I have viewed it at home on a free trial found it to be good....

Henry Stock married Joan Stone
children..... Nicholas Stock 1758 + 4 others

Nicholas Stock 1758 married Rebecca Adams 1752
10 children in all so far ....have listed our 2 Ancestors

children....James Stock1779...your line????married Hannah Stock b1784....children Samuel Stock 1817

George 1783 (brother to James 1779)...my line...
George Stock 1783 married Hester Hares 1786
children   ......Solomon 1811
                      Rebecca 1808
                      George 1810
                       Hester Ann 1813

Solomon Stock 1811 married Mary Hemens 1808
children.....George 1843
                  Ellen 1832
                  Caroline 1834
                  Mary Hannah 1839
                  Elisha Hemens 1845
                  Hester Wholand 1847
                  Eleonar Dunning 1850

George Stock 1843 married Caroline Parker 1853
children.....George Alexander Frederick 1872
                  Alice Christina Gertrude 1876

George A.F. Stock 1872 married Ada Elizabeth Butler 1879
children....Ada Gwendoline Stock 1905....my Mother +
                 3 other children

Ada Gwendoline Stock 1905 married George Alfred Webster 1902 (my Parents) ......Janet Dawn Wilcox(nee) Webster 1942.....ME.....

Hope you can make sense of this....have a Happy New Year....hope to hear from you in the future...regards Janet

Offline glamboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 December 11 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,

Thanks again I will try to find the link between our Stock families, the problem for me is there are 40 people with the name Stock buried in our local cemetery. There are also numerous people with the name Stock in the phone book, I will however keep looking.

I am pretty good at this my Grandfather and his older brother were sent to the children,s homes when his mother and father died. My uncle could not find his 2 sisters but I found them buried with their mothers youngest sisters in Llanhilleth about 12 miles from Pontypridd.

I was born by the way in Pontypridd in 1952 I trained as a carpenter/Joiner but now I am a building surveyor. My daughter visited Australia last year during the floods she was in Sidney, Byron Bay and flew home from Cairns. They hired a car but had to fly over the floods to Cairns, she did a Skydive and loved Australia very much.

I always think instead of sending the convicts to Australia they have left them here and moved the remaining population there.

Anyway Have a Happy and Healthy New Year Lyndon & Family

Offline MikeStock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 October 21 10:49 BST (UK) »
George was the brother of my 3rd Great Grandfather (Paul). I was born in Shipham, my family were the last of the Stock to live there I'm afraid.
The is even an area there called Stocks Common.