Author Topic: Can anyone date this car or fashion  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Headbanger Veron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 generations 1943
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone date this car or fashion
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 November 05 19:43 GMT (UK) »
It's a beautiful photo. These ones that are really snapshots, are often better IMHO, than the ones posed in the studios - they give so much more detail about what people really looked like in their everyday lives, rather than stiff and formal in their Sunday best!

Veron
All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Currently researching:
ABRAHAMS (Essex/Woolwich), CARPENTER (Kent)
CLEMENTS (London), CRADDOCK (Sheerness)
HORTON (Birmingham)
MUNCASTER (Whitehaven then Manchester, Scotland, Suffolk and Canada!)
TANCOCK (Devon/Cornwall),
WILSON (Edinburgh)
among others.....

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 November 05 02:09 GMT (UK) »
I notice they have identical coats - from a "utility" pattern perhaps?  Do you have an address, Mary? - I'm not too far away from Hither Green (South East London) and can take a 'snap' if you like.  Let me know by PM.

Dimps
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 November 05 03:06 GMT (UK) »
There's a nice photo of a 1938 Jowett at:

Click here for photo of Jowett

JAP

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 November 05 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Jap kike your pic of the Jowett the one you have in the photo was registered on 19/11/1938 67years and 2 days old it has a 1121cc engine and is a 2 owner worth about £10,000 maybe £15,000 at the right aution. My father had one of these cars which he got in the late 50's i was proberly transported in one of these as a baby

Jim
Jeves, Sparkes, Downton, Chaney, Digby, Jenkins, Taylor, Hiscock, NOAKE, McCabe, Harman, Cuffay, Lloyd, Jamieson Lister,Rimmer,Kryten, Kochanski, Holly                                            Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 November 05 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Oh JillJ its a Jowett, is it one of yours LOL if you read this I do hope your  well and that you are progressing with your family history

Joe

PS What a superb picture

Hi Joe,

Yes, I'm fine thanks - apart from the usual brick walls!   

It took me two years to convince certain family members that even though it had been hinted in their dim and distant pasts that they were related to the Jowetts of 'Javelin' fame, it just wasn't true!  At least if the families are related it is so far back in time the wheel itself hadn't yet been invented !

Mary,

What a lovely photo!   Don't suppose some family member has the car tucked away in an attic?

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kennington

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jill,

I wish they did have the car still ( so does my husband)  :D

Dimps - I will ask my mum if she knows the road, she would have been a baby, but they may have talked about it .

Mary
Searching:<br />DASH - Cornwall ;STEPHENS - Anglesey / Holyhead ;KELLY - Whitehaven / Liverpool ;CARRICK - Wigton, Cumberland ;FARISH - Cumberland ;MASON - Ipswich ;FISK - Suffolk ;PRIEST - Suffolk & SW London ;HAWKS - London & Thetford, Norfolk
SMITHERS - London ;RIDGWELL - Norfolk ;ELSTON - London ;APPLEBY- London

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Jap kike your pic of the Jowett the one you have in the photo was registered on 19/11/1938 67years and 2 days old it has a 1121cc engine and is a 2 owner worth about £10,000 maybe £15,000 at the right aution. My father had one of these cars which he got in the late 50's i was proberly transported in one of these as a baby.
 Jim
Oh, Jim, ain't that something!

My very first car (many years after its initial registration I hasten to add) was a 1938 Austin 7.  This has been discussed some time back on another thread.  The little car (brakes very dodgy especially with one, two or three large persons as passengers) served me and my friends well.  But I ended up selling it for 5 Oz quid when I was off overseas; the buyers crashed it and sold it to a wrecker for 7 Oz quid!  Like Mary and her husband, I wish I had that little car now!!

JAP