Author Topic: Surnames beginning with Mc  (Read 785 times)

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Surnames beginning with Mc
« on: Sunday 20 November 05 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Both sides of my husbands family lead back to Ireland.  One side was Garry and we know he orginiated from Roscommon thanks to one of the censuses.  Having looked at a site for Roscommon, I see that the names were McGarry and the Mc was obviously dropped on emigrating to England.

The other side is McDonald and we have no idea which part of Ireland he originated from and have hit a huge brick wall with him.  But I was wondering why he kept the Mc and this seems to be the case with the surname McDonald but not with the McGarrys.

Hope that all made sense!

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames beginning with Mc
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 05 15:47 GMT (UK) »
If you go back fifty years in England you have to remember that the Irish were the unacceptable immigrants of the time and there was a tendency to hide Irish surnames to become more acceptable when applying for jobs etc.

McDonald was more associated with the Scots who were much more acceptable until they started knocking our football teams and taking over the government.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames beginning with Mc
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 November 05 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Ah, makes such perfect sense, thank you very much that.

Regards, Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk