Author Topic: SHAW/McLEAN Kirkmabreck circa 1790's  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
SHAW/McLEAN Kirkmabreck circa 1790's
« on: Sunday 20 November 05 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Back again! No luck yet with my lost James McMurray b. 1826 in Borgue (like James, James, Morrison, Morrison,Weatherby George du Pre he must have gone down to the end of town ....?!), so I am hoping that perhaps somebody will be able to help me with his mother and her family?

Isabella Shaw was b. abt. 1806 in Kirkmabreck or Anwoth parish (census' have both). She was the spouse of John McMurray b. abt. 1797 Anwoth.

Parents of Isabella are given as Nathan Shaw and Isabel, or Isabella, McLean in her death registration. No record of Isabella in the OPR's, but I have found the following:

Jean Shaw b. 1796 and Alexander Shaw b. 1801 in Kirkmabreck, parents Nathaneal (Nathan) Shaw and Isabel McLean.

Then:
Sarah McLean Shaw b. 1798 and Mary Shaw b. 1799 in Kirkmabreck, parents Nathanial Shaw and JEAN Shaw.

I have been unable to find any further records for any of these probable siblings of my Isabella Shaw McMurray, and am hoping that someone nearer the source might know more about this family? Or the McLeans? I have a photograph of Isabella Shaw and John McMurray which might be of interest to any descendants also researching this family.

Thank you!
Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHAW/McLEAN Kirkmabreck circa 1790's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 10:09 BST (UK) »
I don't know personally about your relatives but do know about geography.  Borgue is a hamlet at the edge of Kirkmabreck Parish, Anwoth is a small church and graveyard in Kirkmabreck parish.  Kirkmabreck is sometimes called Kirkmabrick and although it is Wigtownshire now it was in the Stewartry previously.  People born in Anwoth may be also connected to next big village either Gatehouse of Fleet or Ferrytown of Cree (otherwise known as Creetown or colloqually Ferry ) The nearest town is Newton Stewart (in Wigtownshire)  Hope that helps your search.

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 August 06 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Duckweed, thank you for the information on Kirkmabreck. I recently visited the area, staying with a cousin in Gatehouse of Fleet. An amazing part of the world! I have seen your chat with Gadget too and see that you once lived in the parish ...(Kirkmabreck) and have read the kirk sessions. You didn't by any chance find anything about my Shaws and McLeans there, did you?! :o Those sessions really do have a wealth of information. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time during our visit to do more than a cursory look at Rerrick and Anwoth ....for McMurrays. We will return!
Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 August 06 15:33 BST (UK) »
I didn't really note names when I looked at the kirk session reports I'm afraid because my research was mainly about the building of the new church and about the old one.  One of the things I was looking for was the old Silver Communion Cup given to the church of Kirkmabreck which was interesting as it states that it was given in memory of the Covenanting Times.  It would be nice if your McMurray was a branch of Murray from Anwoth that Murrays monument was set up for.  The Shepherd boy who became a professor in languages at Edinburgh University.  Do you think there is a chance?  I'm still looking for my notes and my other history guides.  If I find them and they are significant I'll post them up.  I've moved house 5 times since then so it's taking some time searching through.   

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 August 06 23:54 BST (UK) »
Yes, it would be interesting to find a connection between my McMurrays and the Murray shepherd boy/professor, but it is very unlikely! Our McMurrays (McMurries) are from Anwoth, but definitely had a Mc attached going back to the mid 1700's and earlier in the late 1600's. What is more likely is that David Shaw (married to Jane Buttars) in Kirkmabreck, who built the monument, may be related to my Isabella Shaw ...a brother or a cousin. Unfortunately not all the children of Nathan(ial) Shaw and Isabel(la) McLean appear to have birth/baptism records, and then there are some 'mistakes' on the LDS site where a Jean McLean or Jean Coomb appears as Nathan's wife   ???   ??? (he didn't have two wives). It is a hit and miss process, but amazingly death registrations of any of her (Isabella McMurray MS Shaw) siblings who lived beyond 1855 are providing pieces of the puzzle ....Helen Burgess MS Shaw being one. Thanks to contributions from the generous people who watch these discussions  :) Hope you find the Communion Cup .....it sounds intriguing?? 5 house moves??? Ouch!
Scatza

Offline Gallovidian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 February 07 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a Helen Shaw (who is my ggg Granny) in my tree, who died in 1864 - her parents are listed as Nathanial Shaw and Isabella McLean.  She married James Burgess, and their daughter, Isabella Burgess married John Haugh.  Their daughter Isabella Haugh married Hugh Jamieson and their daughter, Violet Jamieson, married William George Halliday - Violet Jamieson & William Halliday are my grandparents.  I have spent a good part of today trying to find out more about Nathanial Shaw and Isabella McLean, but have failed miserably!  I would be interested to know if you have found out anything more about them, as I believe they are the same people that you have mentioned.  I am happy to share any information I have about the Shaws.

Elaine
Adden, Anderson, Bell, Burgess, Caldwell, Campbell, Carruthers, Cowan, Cumming, Dickison, Farish, Halliday, Haugh, Jamieson, Kelly, Laughlin, Leslie, Little, Mathieson, McCormick, McGarrie, McGavin, McLean, Quarry, Robson, Scott, Shaw, Smith, Tait, Tonner, Watson, Wilson

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 February 07 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Eureka!  ;D ;D ;D

Elaine, we share the Nathanial Shaw and Isabella McLean genes.....I am so excited that a descendant has responded! Thanks to others who watch this space, I know about Helen Shaw who married James Burgess, and although I have searched and searched, have not been able to find anything more that her death registration ....until your reply. I do have  more information about Isabella, her sister, and also another sister, Sarah. I will send you a personal message.

Scatza