Author Topic: I found this useful while searching  (Read 5188 times)

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
I found this useful while searching
« on: Friday 03 September 04 08:47 BST (UK) »
I've got the Google toolar installed and if you are faced with a very large amount of text in your browser window just type in some key words like names and places etc. into the toolbar's search box and click the yellow highlighter icon to highlight those words on the page.  Each word appears in a different color which can make looking for names much easier.

If the highlighter icon is already selected then type new text into the toobar's search box (don't press return or click "Search" but instead double click the highlighter icon to make it highlight the new words.

Also, just in case those aren't aware, holding down CTRL and pressing F will let you search for text in a page.

The link for the toolbar is http://toolbar.google.com

Hope this helps :)
Derby: WOODCOCK (Donnington)
Devon: HARRIS (Plymouth)
Lancashire: DERRICK
Lincolnshire: CROPPER, WOODCOCK (Boston)
London: BARKER, DUGGIN, HARRIS, HINTON, HULBERT, WHITE
Wales: HARRIS, PRITCHARD (Pembrokeshire)
Warwickshire: DERRICK, WOODCOCK
Desperate for my Woodcocks from Birmingham!

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: I found this useful while searching
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 September 04 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hey!  I've had the tool bar for a while and I hadn't worked that out!  Thanks for posting that tip - that'll make those long lists of transcripts easier.

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 September 04 20:47 BST (UK) »
Using IE as your browser you have, on the top line of the toolbar the tab "Edit". Click that and then "Find on this page" then in the blank window that comes up type in the word you are looking for - it is not, by the way, case-sensitive so it doesn't  care if you type Wilson or wilson. If the word list is from a database or has been scanned by an OCR reader then you search will find that word or, most likely, surname. Press again and it will track down the page to find other occurrences. ::)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 September 04 22:03 BST (UK) »
Why the rolling eyes?  I see no edit tab so please can you make yourself clearer? :-\

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 September 04 22:14 BST (UK) »
On the top line of the Internet Explorer toolbar the tabs are "File - Edit - View -Favourites - Tools - Help.
If you click on the Edit you can choose Find[on this page]. Type in there the word you are seaching for in the document.
For example, I pulled up a Baptismal Register for a village church. It had all of the people baptised there from 1660 to 1948. Quite a long list but I was only interested in Jenkins so the Edit-Find procedure saved me - Rolling Eyes! ;)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 September 04 08:01 BST (UK) »
The lazy key for the same procedure is "Ctrl" F - press both keys at the same time.

Bothe techniques are good - I use Ctrl F all the time, couldn't live without it.  The Google highlighter - if it prints out means I don't have to pause my study, I can do it on the bus!

P ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 September 04 14:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, you can get the colored backgrounds to print.

From the File menu, select Print Preview.  If you don't see the backgrounds go to the Tools menu and select Internet Options to open the settings windows.  Click on the Advanced tab and scroll down to Printing.  There's only one option that reads "Print background colors and images" and it has a checkbox next to it.  Click it to check it followed by Apply.

If there's too much color on the page and you only want to use the black ink then there is a setting for your printer to only use the black ink - printing a black and white image normally actually does use color - use this option to stop this happening but you'll have to see if you can find this for yourself and all printers are different but you'll find it somewhere in the advanced settings for your printer.

Hackstable> I see now, we're using the same function but accessing it differently - I'm a 'hotkey' freak :D

madbadrob

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 September 04 16:13 BST (UK) »
OK I have had the google toolbar for an age but I am lost as to what you all are talking about.  Think Ill stick with ctrl and F worked before google and ebay tool bars appeared so will work well now they have lol

rob

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 September 04 18:30 BST (UK) »
On the left of the toolbar where you can type in what you want to look for you'll notice it all gets added into the toolbar to the right with an icon of a magnifying glass on a piece of paper.  Next to the Options button in the middle there's an icon of a yellow highlighter pen.  Click than icon so it's selected and all those words listed on the right will be highlighted on the current web page in different colors.