Author Topic: Alexander Edington  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Brian & Berni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Alexander Edington
« on: Monday 21 November 05 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I have Alexander Edington on the 1861-1871 & 1891 census but he has disappeared from the 1881 census can anyone help me find him?
He was born c 1857 in Benton/Longbenton, Northumberland. His fathers name was George and his mothers name was Jane. On the 1881 census his wife Hannah (nee Bigley) is living with his parents but he isn't.
1861 ref no 9/3845
1871 ref no 10/5115
1881 have not got ref. no.
1891 ref no 12/4223

Thanks
Brian
Thompson, Jones, Robinson, Jackson, Reed, Edington, Watson, Chisholm, Murrey, Hall, Boggin-Northumberland.<br />Crass, Johnson, Watson-Durham<br />Bigley-Kent<br />Edington-Scotland<br />Jennings-Ireland

Offline cowenaaron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Edington
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 15:49 BST (UK) »
Brian,

Hannah Bigley was my Great Great Aunt, and I have had the same problem trying to find Alexander Edington. I think he must have been in the forces.
please contact me on my email address which is:
Moderator Comment:  Email address removed in accordance with rootschat policy to avoid spamming and other abuse.   Please use our personal message system.   New members need at least two posts to avail themselves of this facility

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 May 14 17:53 BST (UK) »
Not too common a name in Scotland I would have thought. Is this by any chance the Alexander who was a Fishmomger, Poulterer etc in Edinburgh?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 01:40 BST (UK) »
Possibly at sea ?

There are 2 instances of an Alexander Edington in the CLIP Crew Lists Transcriptions.
Both on the 'King Coal' registered in Newcastle. Information is sparse but he's listed as Alexander Edington, born 1857 North Shields, both entries say he was working on board as a fireman

entry 1 engagement dates Feb 8th 1881 to Jul 20th 1881
entry 2  engagement dates Jul 28th to Jan 26 (1880-1881)

If this is your Alexander (and it seems likely)  it would explain why his wife was at home and he wasn't?

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 02:00 BST (UK) »
The 1881 census was as at the night of 3rd April.
If this was your Alexander on the crew list for the King Coal, then according to the Hartlepool Mail 4th April 1881, the King Coal arrived at West Hartlepool on 3rd April, from Hamburg.

So I looked at the 1881 census again and the King Coal was in there at West Hartlepool Dock,  RG11/ Piece 4912/ Folio 165/Page8

and there's an Alexander Edington, as per the crew list working as a fireman, but he is down on the census as being 46.

Its either an error on the census return or an error replicated in two separate crew list agreements which both had a birth year of 1857 recorded.

I'd be inclined towards a census return error, but its not my family, so only you can decide :-)

Boo

Offline Brian & Berni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 07:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info but its been a while since i did any research but i Will take it up again one day when i retire maybe  ;)
Thompson, Jones, Robinson, Jackson, Reed, Edington, Watson, Chisholm, Murrey, Hall, Boggin-Northumberland.<br />Crass, Johnson, Watson-Durham<br />Bigley-Kent<br />Edington-Scotland<br />Jennings-Ireland