Author Topic: Edward Brannen or Brannan  (Read 1515 times)

Offline tullosboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edward Brannen or Brannan
« on: Tuesday 22 November 05 03:59 GMT (UK) »
My GGG grandfather was Edward Brannen or Brannan,
( depending on who wrote it down ) who was born 1798 in Athlone, Ireland. He moved to England early in the 1800's. He served in the 88th Connaught rangers which was a part of the British army. 

He was married to Isabel Rae in Hull around 1820, does anyone have any connections or information. Thanks

Patrick

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Brannen or Brannan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 March 06 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Patrick,

The Connaught Rangers Association, Boyle, Roscommon may be interested in information about your great, great, great grandfather http://www.kinghouse.ie/connaughtrangers.html This next site http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php may not be a lot of use to you but if relatives of Edward remained in Ireland it may assist in establishing the townland where his family lived.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 06 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hei Patrick,

I received the message below from Margaret in Canada.
I see Edward is your great great great grandfather but Margaret's great great great great grandfather. What is the relationship between you and Margaret?

All the Best, Chris

Hi Christopher,
I just read your message on my gggg grandfather Edward Brennan who served with 88th Connaught Rangers from May 1813 until he was discharged in October 1822 unfit and illness.   I am interesting to hear from you what you have information on my gggg grandfather Edward's family history.  I am still waiting to receive his army papers from the National Archives in Kew, that I already requested to have photocopies on army papers.   I just learned that he was listed as Chelsea pensioner on census 1851 Montrose (that is where his family settled down after the wars), I was back home in Dundee Scotland few months ago so I hired someone to do works to find army papers at Kew.   I was told by National archives that I should have receive the mail from them very soon in few weeks.   Recently I found my gggg Grandfather Edward's war medal military general service medal i got it from Irish coin dealer two months ago.   I am very proud to have his medal back in my family.  I was told that he had another medal 3rd class merit medal but i am still looking for this missing medal.   Please let me know if you know anything on Edward Brennan's family.  Other thing also mystery I just found out that there is another Brennan with 88th Connaught Rangers, his name was John Brennan he was discharged from army in 1818.  I do not know if they were brothers but they born same place in Sligo, Ireland, same last name, and same regiment 88th Foot.   Please contact me if you need any more information.   Hope to hear from you soon.  Cherrio from Canada.,
Margaret   

Offline tullosboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 March 06 00:11 BST (UK) »
HI Christopher,

Thanks for your reply, I have been off air for a while so i while follow up on those links you gave me.

I guess Margaret and I are cousins several times removed.

According to the information I have, my G grandmother was Mary Ann Brannen. Her father was Alexander ( My GG grandfather ) he was Edwards son ( making him my GGG grandfather, I think! ). This is my maternal line, all my mothers siblings have the middle name Brannen.

Thanks again

Patrick