Author Topic: Thomas Frederick Gillett  (Read 4340 times)

Offline David Gillett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Frederick Gillett
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry,

The Thomas F Gillett being discussed in this chain was most likely born in co Cavan, ireland in 1840. His father Thomas, b 1801/1802 was in the English Army and was discharged in 1842 and went back to Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire.
He stayed in England.

Rgds,
David Gillett

Offline RobertHillier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 18:23 BST (UK) »
I have a possible relative: Robert Gillett - father Joseph Gillett 1778-1847 - born in  Swyncombe not far from Henley who enlisted in the Army a generation after Thomas Gillett the Chelsea Pensioner. His Discharge record shows how much valuable information there is in the WO97 papers at the National Archives - well worth the few pounds it cost (by email contact with the National Archives):
Discharge papers of No. 1554 Private Robert Gillett, 17 Jan 1862.
Source: National Archives, WO97/1571 , pages 490 to 493.
My Summary: 1st Battalion 60th Regiment of the Royal Rifles
No. 1554 Private Robert Gillett by trade a Labourer
Born in the Parish of Swinkham in or near the town of Watlington in the county of Oxford
Attested for the 1/60 Regiment of the Royal Rifles at Windsor on 24 Oct 1840 at the age of 19 years
Served 21 years 86 days, abroad 14y 116d
East Indies 21 Nov 1845 to 10 Feb 1846
Lower Scinde 11 Feb 1846 to 24 Oct 1848
Upper Scinde 25 Oct 1848 to 14 Dec 1848
East Indies 1 April 1850 to 16 Mar 1860
Punjab 15 Dec 1848 to 31 Mar 1860
Discharge proposed in consequence of a request with Pension
Fully discharged 4th Feb 1862 - he made his mark to confirm the accuracy of his pay details
Final Description: Age 40 Years 2 Months , Height 5 Feet 7 Inches, Complexion Fresh, Eyes Blue, Hair Light Brown, Trade Labourer
Intended Place of Residence Russells Water near Henley, Oxfordshire

Character and Conduct: Very good. 4 G.C. Badges, No Court Martial, recorded 11 times in Regimental Defaulters Book
Present at the Siege and Capture of Mooltan 27 Dec 1848 to 24 Jan 1849
Served in the Campaign of the Punjab of 1849 including the Battle of Googerat the Surrendering of Sher Sing and the Sikh Army, the occupation of attacks on Pushawar and the expulsion of the Ameer Dost Mohamed beyond the Kyber Pass. Present at the capture of the Insurgent Villages of Suggoo on the 11th Dec 1849 and Pullie Zourmandie Shurkaner on the 14th December 1849 in the Bazdumah.
Served with the expedition of Rohat from the 9th to 14th Feby 1850
Engaged in Active Service during the Rebellion in India in 1857 in dispersing the Insurgent Villagers in the Meeru district and destroying their villages.
Served in the Campaign of Rohilcund in 1858 including the Action of Bagawalla on the 17th April 1858 the Battle of Nuguna on the 21st and the relief of Moradabad on the 25th the Action on the Dojura 5th May 1858 Assault and Capture of Bareilly on the 6th Attack and Bombardment of Shatyekanpore, defeat of the Rebels and relief of the Garrison on the 11th Capture of the Fort of Bunena on the 24th Pursuit of the enemy to the left bank of the Goomtu and destruction of the Fort of Mahundu 26th May /58. Attack and destruction of Shahabad 1st June 1858. Present at the Action of Burah Gong on the 8th October 1858. Served in the Campaign in Oudh in 1858/9 including the action of Pusgaon on the 19th October. The Battle of Russoolpore on the 25th October The attack and capture of the Fort of Mittowlie on the 8th November. The action of Bishwah on the 1st December 1858. A Medal conferred for Services in the Punjaub Campaign of 1848 & 9 and the Bar for the Capture of Mooltan and the Bar for the Battle of Goojerat. A Medal conferred for Services during the Indian Mutiny. Granted a Gratuity of £5 with Silver Medal for Good Conduct and Long Service.

Offline Alan Gillett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Robert,
It was a great surprise to receive advice of your message, as it was 2005/6 when last I had correspondence on this board regarding TFG.
I have not yet been able to establish a link with Robert Gillett in my ancestry, but on a CD I obtained from Oxfordshire FHS I have found a baptism for Robert Gillett 6/12/1818, son of Joseph (Tailor) and Sidey, in Swyncombe. Do you think this is your man?
On the same CD there is a burial of Joseph Gillett, 8/12/1847 in Swyncombe.
I have not been able to find a marriage between Joseph/Sidey, so probably they were married elsewhere.
Hope this is of assistance.
Alan

Offline RobertHillier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 18:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Alan - in fact we've been in touch before in another forum and the help you gave me there has been invaluable and my subsequent work with censuses does indeed show that it all ties up nicely: Joseph and Sidey(?) had three sons, John (1804), James (1810) and Robert (1822) Gillett who all ended up back in the Swyncombe area even if only temporarily. John is missing from the 1841 and 1851 censuses, so far, so might have been serving in the Army and Robert certainly did. All were erratic in describing their place of birth so it wouldn't be stretching things at all to look for a link between my Joseph and your Thomas the Chelsea Pensioner who described his place of birth as Henley.

Offline Alan Gillett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 April 11 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,
A few more items of interest for Swyncombe.
Marriages.
19/9/1846. James Gillett (age 31, labourer, son of Joseph, tailor) married
                  Ann Norcut (age 35, widow)
10/8/1873. John GILLOTT (widower, sonof Joseph, tailor) married
                  Ann Neil (daughter of Edward)
Baptisms.
26/9/1847 Sophia Gillett, daughter of James (labourer) and Anne
1/9/1950   Emma Maria Gillett, daughter of James (labourer) and Anne (Died 13/8/1851)
5/6/1853   Emily Gillett, daughter of James (labourer) and Anne

May be of interest to you.
Regards,
Alan