Author Topic: Weston, Ontario?  (Read 5615 times)

Offline danielletd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Weston, Ontario?
« on: Tuesday 22 November 05 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me find records for my ancestor Harry Weston. He was born in Sussex, England, but emmigrated to Canada. I have found all his ww1 records and know he enlisted with the Central Ontario reg and died in 1916. I have 2 dates of birth for him (i think he lied when enlisting): 1881 and 1885. I would like any information about his life in Canada  before the war, for example, any census info or other records, when he arrived in Canada. I have searched some of the resources online but have got nowhere. If anyone could help I would be very grateful. I know he was still living in england in 1891.

Danielle
Stoke-on-Trent: Fishers, Yoxalls, Sherratts, Mannering, Darlington, lawton
Hastings and Kent: Westons, Swain(e)s, smalls, Kent, Young,Morris, Dyton, Chapman, Colhurst, Coster, Hussey and piddlesdon.
Devon: Cooper(s)
Hampshire: Cutlers and Vollers, Tucker, Limbrick, Waldie, Groucher.

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
Re: Weston, Ontario?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 14:34 GMT (UK) »
you could try online census records for 1901 and 1911.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/  and http://allcensusrecords.com/

The first URL has 1901 and a little bit of 1911
The second has a lot of 1911 done
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline danielletd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 14:43 GMT (UK) »
i have tried both those sites but with no luck. It doesn't help that I'm not 100% sure where in Canada to look.
Hastings and Kent: Westons, Swain(e)s, smalls, Kent, Young,Morris, Dyton, Chapman, Colhurst, Coster, Hussey and piddlesdon.

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Did you see the newspaper clipping online about Harry?

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem/photos&casualty=184195 and click on the image The clipping gives his exact address and city before enlisting. Also the name of his unit

Also, his WW1 attestation papers show that he enlisted at Valcartier, which is in Quebec. Did you send for his full military records or just see the online ones? If you just saw the online scans of his Attestation Papers you are missing the rest of his file. You can send for it - just go back to the online WW1 database and click on their HELP link. Or go to THE CANADIAN MILITARY HERITAGE PROJECT at http://www.rootsweb.com/~canmil/ and click on WW1 then follow the links

Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline danielletd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 15:00 GMT (UK) »
wow, thanks for that. I really didn't know I could get so much information. I am a little worried about posting my credit card details for the records, have you done this? I had seen the photograph. I can't wait to get the records. thanks again.

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 15:58 GMT (UK) »
No problem with the National Archives -- and you can't order the full file except by snail mail or fax so you aren't giving CC info over the internet.

I have used their services for Military files many many times. You never know what might be in a soldier's file but it's always interesting

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Looks like they settled in Toronto.  The article from the Toronto Star cites Davenport Road, which is a well-known Toronto street.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline danielletd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 16:04 GMT (UK) »
i have searched the 1911 census for toronto and cannot find him, did find Fannie Clifton (possibly his landlady in 1916 article). I would love to know when he arrived in Canada and what he did there before the war. If he's not on the census I guess he may have still been in England.

Offline Adeline

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 01:20 GMT (UK) »
You might like to keep this fellow for notes due to his year of immigration as it fits your time frame of him still being in England for 1891 Census. Although not exactly sure when your Harry was born in England. 

However you can veiw the original information at the Archives of Canada website. 
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02012202_e.html

1901 Census, NAC T-6507, Toronto, York East, District 129, Sub-district F-8, Ward 1, Page 6

Living at 81 Allan Ave, boarding with Alfred and Lavina Barriball.

Harry Weston, male, lodger, single, born 13 Jan. 1874, age 27, born England, English Origins, Religion Church of England, Occupation ? Machinist, Immigrated in 1894.