Author Topic: MR MYAL - where are you ?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
MR MYAL - where are you ?
« on: Wednesday 23 November 05 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Re the attached - am I reading this correctly ?  Susan Tricker's maiden name was Carr and her first husband Mr. Myal.From studying the M of male this would seem to be correct.
However, have looked most places for him without success. Have not found either marriage to Mr.Myal or to Zachariah Tricker. Have also looked under Mile but no luck. Any suggestions please ?? ??? All these events took place in London.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: MR MYAL - where are you ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Going by a birth certificate I have, the "formerly" refers to a previous marriage and the other name is the maiden name.

I would suggest you are looking for a Susan Myal marrying a Mr Carr and subsequently a Susan Carr (widow?) marrying a Mr Tricker.

What date was this certificate we might be able to help search, although I have a problem with familysearch.org at present, it seems to be down.  Ooops didn't read that very well did I, my excuse is that it's not very clear  :P does that say 1853?

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 12:20 GMT (UK) »
This is probably way off but I'll make a note of it anyway, FreeBMD lists the marriage of a Susannah Sarah Carr December qtr 1841 Hackney 3 141, one of the males is a John Miles.  However, If I'm reading the 1861 census correctly then her date of birth looks to be 1827 so this entry is unlikely.  Do you know if that is the correct age?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline fargo61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

Do you know if Susan is the mother of Elizabeth, the older sister of James?

If so, the 1861 census shows that YOB for Elizabeth is 10 years earlier (1843) so presumably you are looking for a marriage before then, possibly even prior to 1837.  If not, you probably have it narrowed down to between 1843 and 1853

The next question that occurs to me is have you tried the IGI, searching on his name,without a spouses name?.

Good Luck,

Geoffrey.
Keed - Middlesex; Cordle - Middlesex; Moore - Surrey; Clay - Isle of Ely; Litton - Devon; Gorring / Gorringe - Surrey / Sussex; Johnston / Johnstone - Cumberland; White - Kent; Castle - Kent; Sherbird - Middlesex; Hanger - Middlesex; Jackson - Middlesex; Twohey - New Zealand; Strain - Armagh

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Geoffrey, I think we need to wait for Emmeline to confirm Susan's date of birth.  If in fact I read the 1861 census entry correctly then she would be too young to be the mother of Elizabeth.

Mary

Offline fargo61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emmeline / Mary...

The 1871 census which is easier to read shows clearly that Susan was 46 in 1871, so would have been about 18 in 1843, not too young to be the mother of Elizabeth, but with a spouse aged about 43 at the time!  Maybe they did not actually get married?

Do you know when Zachariah's first wife died, or anything else that might help?

One other thing...I do not know what if any other sources you may have, but the 'formerly' surname on your attachment does not look like Carr to me...perhaps someone more skillful that myself in reading names (which will probably be most people reading this) will refute this suggestion, or have an opinion on what the name might otherwise be.

Once again, good luck.

Geoffrey.
Keed - Middlesex; Cordle - Middlesex; Moore - Surrey; Clay - Isle of Ely; Litton - Devon; Gorring / Gorringe - Surrey / Sussex; Johnston / Johnstone - Cumberland; White - Kent; Castle - Kent; Sherbird - Middlesex; Hanger - Middlesex; Jackson - Middlesex; Twohey - New Zealand; Strain - Armagh

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mary & Geoffrey - Thank you for your interest in my Mr.Myal and others.
As it says ' lately ' Myal on cert. I had assumed this to be her first marriage and Carr to be her maiden name. Although there are some extra marks after Carr it does appear to be just print dots.
Yes, James was born 1853 - my Gt.Grandpa.
Here is a potted history of Zachariah T.
He first married Mary Underwood  in 1823 - she died 1838 and he then married Jane Marlow who died in 1841.  His third marriage was to Sarah Hemming and in 1844 they had William Zachariah. I have certificates for all these events.
In the 1841 census he is with Jane and a child Elisabeth Tricker - age 9 - I presume she was Mary's daughter.
Susan Tricker appears in the 1851 census with Z.T. as his ' wife ' - although his age is shown as 30 he would have been 50 here - born 1799, and she is shown as 27.
In the 1861 census we have Z, S, James and a daughter Elisabeth age 18 !
The 1871 census shows Z age 72, Susan age 46 and James just 19.
A lady in England (James is her Gt.Gt.Grandfather) has been helping in my search but no luck so far.
We have been unable to find a wedding c. for Susan & Z and also cannot find any death details for either Sarah or William Zachariah or Susan.
In the 1881 census Z. is a widower.
I sent for a copy of the John Miles & S.S. Carr  wedding certificate but do not think it is her.
Have seen another entry in Free BMD for a Susan Carr and a Richard Wiles - what do you think ?
Any or all of your suggestions would be most welcome.

Offline fargo61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 November 05 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Dear Emmeline,

I really don't know, but I think that the certificate won't necessarily advance your cause much...as it won't link that Susan Carr to 'your' Susan Carr with any great degree of certainty...I suppose it really depends on how much you want to spend on certificates that may / may noy be a help.  I suppose that if a Tricker is named as a witness, on the marriage certificate, it would certainly be a good sign.

Have you tried to track Richard Wiles and Susan Carr through the census records to try to eliminate them as possibilities, or found a subsequent death index for a Richard Wiles which might add weight to that possibility? 

Is James shown on any subsequent census living with someone, such as to provide a clue, or might there any record of him having served time in the Army, Navy, or Police, or have emigrated (I guess not if you have a relative in the UK), for which something helpful might be extant?

I could not find the 1851 census record which you last mentioned.

Free BDM may not have fully indexed the years of interest yet, so perhaps something may yet turn up, or alternatively you might like to spend a penny looking at the 1837 Online site, if the BDM indexing has not been completed for the likely years.  I repeat my earlier point...they may not have actually got married.

Sorry that I have not really been able to help.

Best Wishes,

Geoffrey.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 November 05 11:24 GMT (UK) »
To help you search the indexes check this thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,107394.0.html
you can get 10 free fredits to help you search FamilyRelatives.  Never turn down a freebie!